The Hottest Summer Day

38 Weeks Pregnant

Tessa's POV
It is the hottest day we've had all summer. August isn't usually this bad, but maybe it's because I'm so pregnant that everything feels 10 times worse right now. I just opened the bookstore and got all the fans on. Thank goodness Debra has air conditioning in this old building. I wouldn't have lasted one day otherwise. Hardin was mad at me this morning, for refusing to stay home. I told him I would be just fine. It's an easy job, and beats sitting around waiting for my due date. He drove me here, and said he is staying downtown today, in case I need him. He has some errands to run for us ( last minute baby items) and wanted to bring me lunch too. I want to say I'm feeling better with the air turned on and fans going, but I'm just so uncomfortable lately. Just as I settle myself on the chair behind the register, the door chimes.
"Morning Mary, your book came in last week. I'm going to grab it from the back for you" I tell our regular customer.
"Thanks Doll. How's little Emery doing? You must be getting very close to your due date Dear" She says.
Mary and Debra the owner went to school together, and go way back. She was my first customer I ever helped. She loves reading romance novels because her husband passed away 3 years ago. She said the novels make her feel like he's still with her. She is the kindest older lady I've met, besides Debra.
"I'm ready for Emery to be here already" I laugh.
I head into the back, to grab Mary's book. It's on a taller shelf where customer orders are kept. As I go to reach the book, I get a sharp pain that feels like it could be a contraction. I had contractions a few days ago. The doctor said its my body's way of preparing for labor. When I get back to the desk I start a list of times of contractions, incase I have more. After Mary leaves its pretty quiet for customers, except the one or two here and there. I've had five more contractions and I know if I call Hardin and tell him he will be here in less than 5 minutes, so I think I'll hold off on telling him until lunch. Which is only an hour away. As the only customer leaves, I am the only one in the store. All of a sudden I feel like I'm peeing my pants, and I can't stop. I've peed myself before with Emery sitting so low on my bladder but this feels different. I quick run back to the bathroom, and dial Hardin's phone in case I need extra clothes.
"Hey Love, what's your lunch order?" Hardin asks
"HARDIN! I THINK MY WATER JUST BROKE!!" I yell into the phone.
   As I take my pants down to check, I am shocked to see it wasn't my water that broke, but it was blood.
"Hardin! It's blood! Not water! Hurry here! I'm so scared" I yell into the phone.
"What Tessa?!! CALL 911, I'm five blocks from the store. I'll be there soon Baby" Hardin yells.
   I call 911 and tell them I'm 38 weeks pregnant and that I thought my water broke but it was all blood and I'm bleeding a lot. They tell me that an ambulance is on the way to "The Next Chapter". He stays on the phone with me, just as I hear the sirens start coming. Hardin comes rushing into the back bathroom and tells me he's closed the shop in the front and he will direct the ambulance down the alley. I'm crying and shaking. I'm so afraid that we are going to lose our baby girl. I don't know what is happening and why!
    As the first responders place me on the stretcher, Hardin is crying, and freaking out. Telling them to be careful with me.
"Baby, I'm not going to leave you. I'm right here. It's going to be okay, I promise Tessa" Hardin says to
me. He reaches out to squeeze my hand. They won't allow him to ride in the back of the ambulance, so Hardin is sitting in the front seat, as we take off and they put the sirens on. I pray to God that Emery is going to be okay. I need her to be okay. Hardin needs us both to be okay.

Hardin's POV
I don't know what is happening. Everything seemed fine this morning. When I got a call from Tessa, I thought it was for her lunch order, not this. As I ride in the front seat, I want to take the stupid steering wheel out of this guy's hands and drive us there myself, I would be much faster. What if my Tessa isn't okay? What if Emery isn't okay? I need to do something with my hands, because I am becoming more anxious by the minute. I call Landon, he always can get me back to my rational self. Just my luck I have to leave a voicemail.
"Landon! Something has happened to Tessa and the baby. Please call me back when you get this, we are headed to the hospital in an ambulance right now."
Next I call Karen, because she is calm, unlike Tessa's Mother. I need to hear someone tell me everything is going to be okay. Tessa is my life. She is the reason I breathe and live each day. Please answer Karen. Please Answer.
"Karen, it's Hardin. Something is wrong with Tessa and the baby. I need you to come to the hospital, I don't know what to do. Please tell Tessa's Mother, and Ken. We are just getting here now." I leave another voicemail. You think everyone would keep their phones close by, but apparently not today.
As the take Tessa up to her right floor, I'm told I can't use the way they are going. I run to the stairs and take the four flights of stairs by storm, and beat them even though they took the elevator. Tessa's coloring looks drained. I hear the first responders tell the nurses that she is still bleeding pretty bad. As they get Tessa off the stretcher and onto a bed, they start taking all of her information for her file and start prepping for an exam. I hold Tessa's hand as I stand next to her. She tries to give me a half smile, but I'm not buying it. She is just as freaked out, if not more.
"It's going to be okay, Baby" I whisper to her.
"Hardin, I'm scared" Tessa whispers.
"I'm right here Tess, I'm not going anywhere."