The Name Game

35 Weeks Pregnant

Hardin's POV
"What about Ruth, or Elizabeth?" I ask Tessa.
"Ehhhh I want it to be more unique" She tells me, as she lays on the doctors table, as we wait for another ultrasound to be done.
    Tessa's doctor had a little concern about how big our baby girl was getting. She's already almost at 9 pounds and Tessa has 5 weeks to go until her due date.
"What about Sasha? or Juliet?" I ask her.
   I can tell Tessa is overthinking in her head, about how big baby girl is getting. She's picking at her fingernail and her thoughts look a million miles away.
"Sorry, what did you say Babe?" She asks me.
"Hey Sweetheart, you know you can talk to me. Tell me what your thinking. I know you. I know you're worried." I kindly tell her.
Just then the lab technician comes in to do the ultrasound. Tessa asks a lot of questions but the tech is very kind. She doesn't see any extra fluid in the womb and our baby girl is just dancing away in there for us. I even thought I saw her lift her arm and wave. Tessa laughed and thought I was nuts but I'm sticking to what I saw. As we leave the doctor office, they tell us they will call, after the doctor reviews the ultrasound results. Tessa is unusually quiet on our ride home.
"Baby? Please talk to me. I'm worried too" I tell her.
    As she turns to face me, I see she's been silently crying while staring at the window.
"I don't want to jump to worse case scenario, you know? But what if I have to get a C Section? Surgery is really scary. I'm scared Babe" Tessa says through tears.
"Babe, it's okay. I'm scared too. But you know what? I'm not leaving your side for anything ok? I'm going to be here every step of the way" I say to her.
    I hug her, just as well pull into our driveway. Tessa looks somewhat relieved by my words, but I still sense her worry.
" This afternoin is my meeting with my publisher, but I'm going to reschedule, so I can be with you while we wait to hear back" I tell her.
"No Hardin, you have to meet with him today. I could be in labor if you have to reschedule. Plus I'm helping Landon redecorate his classroom for the new school year that starts in a few weeks" Tessa says.
"Okay, but I want to know right away, when you hear back from the doctor okay?"
"Yes sir!" Tessa jokingly salutes me.
    Landon picks Tessa up after lunch, and I pack up my notes to drive downtown to meet my publisher at a small cafe, the one next to Tessa's part time job. I sure hope she hears back soon. My stomach is in knots thinking about my Tessa going in for a C Section.

Tessa's POV

I love helping Landon prep for the new school year. I loved school as a little kid, so the smell of new pencils and crayons makes me very happy. I told Landon all about my doctor's appointment and surprisingly he already knew all about it. He said Hardin called him very concerned and asked a ton of questions to Landon. Landon had to tell him, hes just a teacher not a doctor, but he believes everything will be okay. I want to believe him. I want believe that our baby girl is just simply a big baby girl.
"What about the name, Clara? or Marsha?" Landon asks me.
"Are you just reading names off of your class list for this year?" I laugh.
"Maybe.." Landon laugh back. " But if the student is a troublemaker I'd feel bad that I recommended the name to you" He laughs again.
   It's nice to hang out with Landon. Our schedules since our time in New York together seem crazier than ever. This year Landon will get to have Addelyn in his class. I know he's worried that the other kids will tease her, because he's her Dad, but I assured him that I would think it's really cool if I were her. Just as I finish decorating the bullitin board by his classroom door, my phone rings.  It's the doctor's office I tell Landon and walk into the hall.
" Hello?"
"Mrs Scott? This is Dr. Lange calling you back. Everything on the ultrasound looks to be good. Nothing out of the ordinary. You just have a big Baby girl who's getting ready to come out" She tells me.
"Oh that's wonderful news Dr. Thank you. Does this mean I'll need C section because she's so large?"
" That decision will come after you're in labor and we can see how that is going. Right now I see you trying to have her naturally" The Dr says.
"Okay Dr Lange. Thanks again."
     I call Hardin right away, and it sounds as if he is crying and sniffling as I tell him everything is okay. He says his meeting went great, and is already on his way back home. I tell him, I'll be home by 4 as Landon will drop me off. Saturday is Addelyn's birthday and Landon and Sophia are having the party at Chuck E Cheese. Hardin has only been to Chuck E Cheese once, when we were dating. So I know he will have a blast, and I'll have a blast sitting and watching him play with his favorite little niece. I let Landon know everything is okay with the baby, and he surprises me by pulling me in for a big hug.
"Are you okay Landon?" I ask.
"Yes, I didn't want to show you how worried I really was. I was trying to be brave for you." He smiles.
"Ha! And I was trying to play it off, like I wasnt worried either. I didn't want to worry you." I laugh.
We finish most of the decorating, and pack up for the day. Landon drops me off at my house, and Hardin meets me at the door with a huge bouquet of flowers and a kiss.
"What about the name Emery?" Hardin kisses me.
" That's a beautiful name Hardin. Where did you come up with it?" I ask.
"I found it on a website of baby names. It's meaning is powerful and brave." Hardin says.
"That's perfect babe."
Hardin sits next to me on the couch, as he rubs my belly and says: "Emery its daddy. We think you are brave, just like your mommy, so we wanted to give you a powerful name. We love you."