Chapter Nineteen

The Gem of Nefarious

Nineteen

Greece

142 B.C.

Alexander

I had wanted to give Rullus time to stop obsessing over the gem, but when he held no joy on his face, or even in his eyes for Bethany, I knew it would never happen until he came into possession of it. For weeks he has been distant with not only the coven, but with me as well. He would take his meals privately, nor would he even make an appearance unless the coven was on the move again.

Anytime I speak with him, our conversations are short, and they always seem to be about Remus. Where all of our conversations used to be about Gyana and what our plan was to defeat her, they are now always about a future so distant that I cannot figure out why Rullus is so fixated on it.

I could always choose to be happy for Rullus for finding something to lighten his moods, but I fear these visions have distracted him from our cause. If the Fates were to attack us now, the amount of destruction they could cause to the coven would be devastating. The coven respects Bethany and I, and follow any command we give, but Rullus is our leader. If the coven knew why he was being distant, they may turn against him.

Rullus cannot do anything for Remus. He may craft this gem, but what good will that do? To what end? There is no guarantee that Remus will come into possession of it. It is thousands of years into the future! Rullus is wasting his time, effort, and putting the entire coven at risk!

Does he truly not care for us anymore? Has his gift of sight taken over all his senses? Does he forget that if the Fates are not stopped, it will not matter if the gem is finished? And what is the point in even crafting it in the first place? What does Rullus plan on doing with it?

As I walk behind Bethany, I find my feet are hitting the dirt beneath me harder with each step. Was giving in and handing the gem over to Rullus a mistake? Will he now simply forsake us? Leave us to deal with the Fates ourselves? Will he completely abandon us?