Chapter Nine

The Gem of Nefarious

Nine

Greece

142 B.C.

Bethany

A violent thrash of wind rattles loudly against my window, startling me awake. Being late summer, harsh rains happen quite often so near to the coast; and due to the unpredictable weather, Alexander and I planned on spending, yet another, day in his room Mother has kept him sequestered in since his return. We play chess or cards, but mostly we talk about how to get the darkness out of him. My brother talks openly to me about how the unnatural source of magic feels inside of him. Sometimes, he will get this ominous look in his eyes that I have never seen before. In anyone.

He explains it like an intruder who is adamant that he does terrible things. He had told me when Mother initially suggested unlinking him and Rullus, he had an almost uncontrollable urge to kill her where she stood. I know how excited my brother had been to finally see her after so many years, and to hear him talk of wanting to kill her tells me the darkness is growing stronger inside of him.

It is odd, but the more I learn about how he is feeling, the more I feel the same things inside of me. My thoughts are not as horrific as his, but I fear they have begun taking on the same form. Yesterday, my handmaid ripped the hem to one of my favorite dresses, and I wanted nothing more than to choke her with the cloth she had held up to me.