Chapter Eight

The Gem of Nefarious

Eight

Greece

142 B.C.

Rullus

I toss and turn on the cold bed of leaves I have made for myself, unable to sleep. I have had worse for a bed. Once, while with Adonis, Alexander and I were forced to prove how powerful we had become by using our magic to sleep, levitated, over a pit of fire. Adonis believed that if we could use our magic in our slumber, then we had full control over ourselves. Alexander still has the burn scars from not being able to do it.

Adonis made us practice that spell until we both could go a full week like that.

The memories of what Adonis did to the two of us, along with him training my demon, flash through my mind. Every single woman's face comes to the forefront of my mind's eye, and my body begins to have mixed reactions to the past. I heave, while at the same time feeling the familiar feeling of a shiver running down my spine.

I sit up quickly on my leaf bed, my breathing coming out in pants as I attempt to control myself. It has been just over a week since my demon was last fed. I went so long before my first attack, and the five years after Adonis made me stop to learn of my powers; surely I can control him at this point.

Yet, knowing Bethany is so close, only over that hill to my south, makes it difficult.

I take a deep breath, refusing to let that part of me be triumphant. In regards to magic and how to use them, Alexander has said before that I am powerful. The first night Adonis made us sleep over the fire, I did not fall. I was even able to sleep, until Alexander started screaming.