Chapter Thirteen

The Gem of Nefarious

Thirteen

Greece

142 B.C.

Rullus

For once in my life, I hold no fear, nor resentment, in my heart as I take the stairs to the alter in the meeting hall. The first few times I addressed the coven as a whole I had been a little nervous. Hundreds upon hundreds of faces were looking at me, and I had no idea on how to talk to them. Then, coming to the meeting room became a burden to me as I had nothing new to tell them. I had felt like a failure, but thanks to Orpheus, neither of those emotions linger inside me.

Taking the stairs two at a time, the hum in the room quickly dies down. I am sure the coven knows something has happened, seeing as how I have never seemed so eager to be atop the alter before. The fact that Alexander and Bethany are also right behind me, matching my sharp steps, also lets the coven know something is about to happen.

As I take my place, I do not wait for Alexander and Bethany to stand at my sides before I begin. "Orpheus has brought news of Gyana creating a new Fate within the next two days." I pause briefly, allowing the coven to absorb the information. "I will use my new powers of sight to pinpoint where she will be, and I am confident I will learn the location. I need everyone to rest, and save their magic. Try to use it as little as possible. I want us to be as strong as we possibly can be when we come face to face with the Fates."

I pause again as I survey the coven. In all honesty, I do not care if all of them die in the coming war. They truly mean nothing to me. My only concern is for Alexander and Bethany. As long as the three us survive in some way, whatever else happens is fine with me.

The only reason I allowed so many persons to join us was so Gyana had to go through even more people in order to get to the three of us. I doubt she is prepared to take on a coven this large and powerful. Her new Fates will not be properly trained, and therefore we will be able to overpower them, regardless of how powerful she has made them.