Chapter Eighteen

The Gem of Nefarious

Eighteen

Greece

142 B.C.

Bethany

Rullus' faith in me is unwavering. I had thought, when he was dividing the coven into three groups, that he would give me the lease populated area. Instead, he gave it to Alexander. Rullus had clearly stated that he wanted to be between the two of us just in case either of us needed his assistance; he wanted to be equally close to either of us. So when he instructed me that I would be further inland, I was shocked and nervous at the same time.

Yet, I knew, as soon as Rullus also said I would be taking a slightly larger group with me, I did not have anything to fear. Where Rullus and Alexander only took one member of the council with them, I was allowed to take two; at my choosing. With so many people to look over, I had decided to bring Seneca and Orpheus with me.

Seneca knows the members of the coven who stayed at our home with us better than I do, and Orpheus knows the land.

I will admit though, bringing Orpheus with me was not solely because he knows the country better than I. I have always felt an attraction towards the man, and perhaps with the joy that the coven is experiencing, it will allow me a chance to get to know him better.

From what I know, Orpheus has never married; even though he is two years older than I. He either likes the company of men in his bed, or the prospect of marriage does not appeal to him. Orpheus is the first man I have ever been attracted to. I do not know how courting actually works, never allowing a man to get so far with me, but there is something different about him that makes me want to get to know him.

Perhaps it is simply because I no longer avoid sleep due to unpleasant dreams. I have not had a night terror, even about Adonis, in two full moons. I do not know what the change in me is, but I also will not complain about it. Instead, I am welcoming it.

The first step was simply making sure Orpheus and I were in the same group. Other than doing that, I have not had the courage to approach him unless it was about which direction to go after a village has been destroyed. Yet, after he answers me, I feel as though there is an awkward silence between us. I could be imagining this, but I do not know.