[47. Revenge Isn't Sweet]

[3x10; The New Deal]

Morning After Homecoming

Lucy's head only ached a little when she woke up. Mostly, she was surprised by the light that flooded her room; it had been well into the night when she spoke with Mikael at the party and she couldn't remember a single thing after that.

Did Mikael succeed? Was Klaus dead?

She quickly sat up, rubbing her forehead, and gasped when she saw that Stefan was sitting on her window seat. He was simply staring at her with passive eyes, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Stefan, what are you doing here?" she asked groggily. "What time is it?"

"It's ten," Stefan stood up and walked over to her bed to take a seat by her legs. "I brought you home last night."

"And you're still here?"

Stefan shrugged.

"Okay..." she sighed. "What happened last night? Did Mikael kill Klaus?"

"Not exactly..."

Lucy listened quietly as Stefan informed her of what happened the night before. Damon had succeeded in stabbing Klaus with the white oak stake but Stefan saved Klaus' life. Klaus ended up staking Mikael, who was now ash. Lucy had asked him why he saved Klaus and Stefan told her it was because Klaus had plans to make his hybrids kill Damon if he was killed.

"...and I couldn't let that happen," Stefan finished.

Lucy nodded, knowing that Stefan would rather die than have anything happen to Damon. The fact that he saved Damon made the fact that he plotted to kill Klaus a little better. His actions confirmed her suspicions, though. He had his humanity back on. And he had probably had it on for a while.

"How long has your humanity been on?"

Stefan wasn't surprised that she managed to figure it out on her own. Lucy was smart and she knew him more than anyone else. "A week or so," he admitted. "I know we have things to talk about. I do...but I need to do something first."

Lucy gave him a concerned look. "What is it? Can I do something to help?"

"I need you by my side, Luce," Stefan told her. "and I need you not to freak out when I tell you this. I need to explain."

Lucy nodded and promised to hear him out. She was curious about what he had done that would make her want to freak out so much.

"I stole your siblings' coffins."

Lucy stared at him, trying to wrap her head around what he had just said. "What?!"

"Let me explain, okay?" Stefan grabbed her hand and linked their fingers to calm her down. "I took them to get back at Klaus but I need you to know that I will not do anything to harm them. I'll just keep them until Klaus gets out of Mystic Falls and doesn't come back."