[84. Historical Figures]

[5x05; Monster's Ball]

When Lucy woke up four days after Bonnie's memorial, she woke up on the couch in her loft, unable and unwilling to sleep in the bed that used to be hers before Jeremy and Joel moved in. Her eyes opened, bleary from the intense glare of the sun shining through the open blinds, and saw Stefan in the armchair, nose buried deep in one of his journals—a more recent one. He had been in the fifties when Lucy dozed off last night, so she supposed he made good progress considering this journal was from the early eighties.

"Did you take a break at least?" Lucy's voice was a little hoarse from misuse and dehydration, but it caught Stefan's attention all the same.

The corner of Stefan's lips quirked. "Not really. I have a lot of catching up to do. If I'm supposed to be who I am, I have to know who I am."

Lucy hopped onto her feet after gracefully rolling off the couch, and wandered into the kitchen to check the fridge. Luckily, Joel had the crisper filled with blood bags. She took one for herself and then tossed another to Stefan before popping the straw into it. The blood was delicious despite its coolness, and it soothed her achy throat and as Stefan dug into his, he seemed less anxious.

"Look, I haven't stopped looking for a way to get your memories back," Lucy assured him. "But, in the meantime, I think you need a break."

Stefan hummed non-committedly. Lucy was unbothered by his interest.

"And you know how to spend said break?"

Stefan finally tore his green eyes away from his journal. "I think you're going to tell me."

"Indeed, I am," Lucy sat on the couch again and beamed at him. "There's a costume party tonight and I would love it if you came with me."

"A costume party?"

"Yes—well, technically it's the Whitmore Historical Ball. But it's themed and everything. See, you have to dress as a historic person. I'm going as Rosie the Riveter!"

Stefan raised a lone eyebrow at her, his lips drawing into a hint of a smile. "Since I'm 163-years-old, can I just dress myself?"

Lucy laughed loudly at his joke. "I was thinking James Dean, but you know what? You practically dress like him anyway. So, will you come?"

"Do I really have a choice?"

"Of course you do," Lucy assured him. "But if you're taking a break, you might as well have fun with me and Caroline. I'm sure she'll be excited to reintroduce you to Tyler."

"Tyler is her boyfriend, right?"

"Correct," she scrambled from her sitting position until she was kneeling on the couch, clasping her hands together pleadingly. "Please Stefan."

Stefan rolled his eyes but she was pleased to see the small smile on his lips. "All right, fine. Is there going to be alcohol, though?"

"There is," Lucy confirmed. She got up from her kneeling position and wandered over to the kitchen, opening up a cupboard and pulling out a bottle of bourbon that Joel had hidden. "Why not start now?"