Chapter 32 - It's All Fun And Games Till There's A Funeral

If I go, I'm Goin' By Gregory Alan Isakov
-Peyton-

With Jade out of the hospital, the funeral was fast approaching.

The morning of, I woke up with a sense of dread. I yearned to be across town with Jade, rubbing her back and letting her grieve.

I took the dress off the hanger and slipped over my body. It was a simple black eyelet dress with short sleeves. I slid on some tights and black heels. I pulled my hair back and applied some makeup. The whole thing seemed so unimportant but I didn't want to face my mom looking anything but my best.

Mom was brushing Auggies soft curls at the table. He looked very cute in dress pants and a button-up.

"Morning darling, how are you?" she cooed as if this any other day.

"Fine, just worried about Jade," I mumbled peeling the sticker off an apple.

Mom was in a nice dress as well, her hair pin-straight.

I didn't see my dad anywhere.

"Where is Dad?" I asked.

"I sent him out to get flowers, he will meet us there,"

I nodded and tugged on a black sweater.

My phone chirped letting me know that Ryker texted me.

Hey thanks for the dress pants, Mom was about to make me wear jeans. Rather die.

I muffled a chuckle and sent a quick welcome text back.

Mom jingled the keys in her hand and looks over to me.

"Ready?" she asked bouncing Auggie on her hip, even though he was approaching seven years old she was still treating him like a baby.

I nodded reluctantly, no of course I wasn't ready, but what else was I going to do? 

-*-

The funeral home was packed with firemen in their dress uniforms. Family and friends milled about.

"Oh there's your father with the flowers, I'll be right back," Mom informed me and squeezed her way to my dad.

Ryker approached my side and I gave a little jump.

"Hey," He murmured, looking around uneasy. I understood there were a lot of people here.

We made our way over to the photo wall.

There were thousands of photos of Jade's dad at the fire station with his buddies. There were pictures of Jade at diffrent ages with her dad, wedding photos of Jade's dad and mom. I never seen a picture of her mom before, she was pretty.

There was the latest photo taken just a few weeks ago. Jade's father in the middle with Jade, Ryker, Hale and me at his sides. He insisted on having it taken when we were all at dinner. He told us he needed a picture of his new children.

A tear slipped out of my eye.

It was odd to feel lose for someone you barely even knew.

- Hale -

I hated wearing dressy clothes, but for Jade, I sucked it up. I put on some dark jeans and a black lace off the shoulder top, with a corset backing. I put on a nice pair of boots and curled my hair in softer waves.

I brushed my hair down as I slid off the motorcycle helmet.

Lev looked it up and she held her hand out for me. I smiled and took it as we entered the home. It was getting used to the small things, Lev offering her arm or hand. It was simple, but in my head it was huge and I couldn't be more thankful that she realized that.