Chapter 6 - A Funny Little Thing Called Fate

Only Happy When It Rains - Garbage
~Peyton~

I was shaking, I couldn't take my eyes off the ring. In a matter of minutes, they both had bruises spotting on their necks and blood oozing from their skin.

"See isn't this exciting?"Cooper whispered in my ear.

I shook my head.

My face was stuck in permanent disgust, but it was like a train wreck, no matter how gory and awful, you couldn't look away.

"No, it's not. It's awful! How can you watch this?" I shuddered, glaring at him.

Cooper shrugged and went back to watching.

Someone was going to die tonight, and all anyone was doing was throwing money at them.

~Jade~

Tears pricked my eyes, my body so tense I thought I would explode. Somehow I'd made my to the front of the crowd. Caleb was winning the girl seemed to be putting up a fight, but she was stumbling and losing focus. Caleb saw every vulnerability and he took advantage of it.

Yet somehow my heart tugged at the girl, I should be at least happy that my best friend wasn't as hurt, but I could only think of the poor girl, I could see in her eyes the fight and fear that she was trying to cling too.

I couldn't believe this, this person wasn't my best friend. This was a ruthless, animal-like monster.

Caleb had her pinned down flat. He picked up her shoulders, her head limp and her body giving out. He slammed her back down and I could see her grimace in pain.

My breath caught in my throat. I didn't know this girl, not a bit, but she couldn't die, waves of panic and grief twisted inside me.

"Caleb!" I sobbed loudly, hot tears streaming down my face. He looked at me for a second, had I blinked I don't think I would have noticed. He gave me a small smirk before turning back the girl.

"Please stop," escaped my mouth in a barely audible whisper.

~Ryker~

"Whoa dude, watch it! You're getting beer everywhere!" Ethan exclaimed.

I was squeezing the keg tap too hard and beer was spilling out onto the floor, I quickly let go. I didn't take my eyes off the fight, not because I was enjoying it like some of these sickos but because watching her get hurt was like watching a loved one getting beat up.

"I told you she was weak, a lot of people are losing money tonight," Ethan grimaced and picked up the tap, pouring a new cup.

I gulped and my fingernail bit into my skin, leaving crescent-shaped imprints in my palms.
Please, please get up!

~Hale~

The mat was cold against my sweaty, hot skin. My body felt so tired, I could barely keep my eyes open.

I felt the blow to the left side of my face, and the one to the right side. I started to raise my fist to fight back but he was quicker and dug his fist into my gut. My body instinctively wanted to curl up to protect myself, but it hurt too much to move.

Caleb brought his mouth to my ear.

"I'm sorry, I really am. But girls like you always die and no one gives a shit, might as well make some money off of it,"