Falling // Alex Bowman

I watched with a broken heart as Alex climbed out of his car

climbed out of his car. A 13th place finish doesn't show how good he ran. With 7 laps to go, he was fighting Ryan Blaney for the win before a caution came out. Greg called the 88 in for fresh tries with the hopes it would cause the whole field to follow, but they didn't.

That call lost the race and I could see it all over Alex's face. He smiled as he gave interviews by his car but I knew it didn't reach his eyes. His shoulders were hunched forward and his eyes kept looking around for exits.

He needed an escape.

I knew being his PR girl that I was the only one who could rescue him from the rest of the interviews and he gave me a small purse of his lips in thanks as I led him to the golf cart. The ride back to his motorhome was silent and I didn't want to pry but I really wish I could make him feel better.

I hated seeing him like this; I know he's putting up a front right now, but the moment the door closes to his RV he's going to beat himself up and go into a dark place in his mind. Alex is really good at being high spirited but when it comes to racing for the win - he crashes and tumbles into the darkest of places.

I've seen it and I know he doesn't think anyone else does, but I have. I hate how I noticed everything with him, but when he stole my heart, I couldn't help it.

"Can you just wait outside? I won't be long."
"I'll be right here."
"Thanks." Alex couldn't even look at me and I really wish he would.

I sighed, watching him disappear into his RV. I toyed with the idea of running after him but what would I say? Could I? Could I be that person he needed in a time like this?

My phone vibrated in my hands and I saw that he posted on his Instagram story. I knew better than to watch, knowing he was going to step out of his RV and see that I've seen it, but my heart had me pressing the screen and soon enough his face popped up.

He was giving an update to his fans about almost winning the race and the crack in his voice had me in tears. "You ready?" I quickly locked my phone and smiled up at Alex and handed him a bottle of water.
"You stink." I wrinkled my nose and moved away from him. I always make this comment when he doesn't shower after a race so I wanted to keep that tradition.
"Shut up," he laughed, knocking his shoulder against mine. I know I lightened the mood up a little, but his smile faded and I knew it wasn't enough.

**

"Okay, if he's alone, you sit with him, if not, go to your regular seat." I gave myself a little pep talk while I waited in line at Starbucks. I know we had a long flight back and I wanted to get a jump start on press for this race and for the next one.

Alex was silent on the way to the airport and when we got there, he went straight to the gate instead of grabbing something to eat. I made a mental note to grab him some chicken tenders from Chick-fil-A before hopping on the plane because I know that boy won't eat unless someone put food in front of him.