Fireworks // Ty Gibbs

A/N: Just a little self-indulgent fic for New Years.  Enjoy!

(absolutely no edits with this - ignore the mistakes please)

-----------------------------------------

Snow swirled from the sky in giant white flakes, coating the ground in sparkling white. I let out a sigh, my breath dancing in the night sky as snow fell around me.

"C'mon, it's cold out here." I ignored the velvet voice drifting my way as I spun in a circle, closing my eyes and sticking out my tongue so the flakes would fall on them. "You're acting like it doesn't snow in North Carolina, c'mon, we're late." I opened my eyes and was met with blue ones, staring at me in awe that it took my breath away. "We're late." Blush rose to my cheeks as the man standing in front of me smiled in wonder, not a trace of annoyance in his voice when usually it's there when I'm running late to any event he drags me to.

I suddenly felt hot as a glove-covered hand reached out for mine and didn't let go until we reached the front door of his family's home. I was shy all of a sudden when the door opened, revealing an older version of the man's hand I'm holding.

Ty Gibbs, my best friend since childhood. We grew up together, both of our families in the racing community and since then, we've been inseparable. We had that type of friendship where if we needed a plus one to any event or party, it was without question that the other got invited. Even though I am a family friend, it was still nice to see that Ty invited me to his get togethers.

It beats sitting home alone on New Years Eve on my couch, eating ice cream and watching the ball drop on TV though. Sometimes I wonder if he's doing it out of convenience or if he really wants me here. Like when he asked me to come tonight, I was a bit shocked that he did. I was under the impression he was talking to some girl because he kept mentioning how nervous he was to ask her out for this party. So when I got the invite, I was extremely confused.

I never did ask him what happened to her because deep down I was happy to have Ty to myself a little bit longer before the evitable happened.

Someday the girl of his dreams was going to knock him off his feet and our time together would be non-existent.

"Claire, honey, I'm so glad you could make it." Ty's mom gave me a bright smile as she hugged me and then gave Ty a knowing smile as she looked down at our intertwined hands. I went to let go but Ty held onto me stronger and pulled me inside the door.

"Sorry we're late, Clarie here just had to play in the snow before we got here."

"Hey! You know how much I love the snow, it's so pretty and romantic. Especially around the holidays."

"Sure sure." Ty teased me, rolling his eyes as he dragged me further into his parent's house, ignoring everyone who said hello to him until we got to the washroom where we ditched our coats.

When I turned around to face Ty after hanging up my purse and coat, I was a little taken back. His eyes were cast down until they slowly rose up my body. With every second that passed by, my skin grew hotter and hotter under his stare until it was too hard to breathe.

Ty took a step closer to me, reaching up to touch the soft velvet material of the dress I was wearing and then to the necklace he got me for Christmas that hung around my neck.

"You look beautiful tonight," he whispered, his cold fingers leaving a trail of goosebumps behind as he gently moved the little race car charm with his birthstone to the center of my chest. My response got lost in my throat when Ty licked his lips and then moved back from me, disappearing quickly before I could even take my neck breath.