Chapter twenty seven

Start from the beginning

"The second generation might take over soon, after all my younger brother is graduating this year. But it won't have me. I am happy with my art" said Omkara firmly. 

"I heard of your recent successful exhibition. But, dear boy, why not do both? After all, your inputs and strategy during our negotiations were really insightful. You have the talent" persisted Mr. Khuraana. 

Omkara didn't know how to get rid of the man. He knew Khuraana as a jolly good fellow but a shrewd businessman. He hadn't told anyone in the family, about Gauri and his secret, barring Shivaay who knew already. 

"Thanks Mr. Khuraana, but I think I am happy as I am. I see Shivaay waving at me, I think he wants to talk to you" said Omkara, and saying so, he smoothly walked the elder man over to Shivaay to handle, while his elder brother gave him a dirty look, to be saddled with older businessman.

Omkara smiled but his grin evaporated seeing Mr. Oberoi being surrounded by a group of businessmen, who no doubt were licking his heels for their personal gain.

Slimy, cheesy group of flatterers all of them, thought Omkara. He hated the world of business, and he was glad that he was no more a part of this. 

Unfortunately for Om, he celebrated his thought so soon.

"Yes, yes, I was surprised as well. I didn't know that my son hid such mettle" Tej could be overheard above the gaggle. 

Omkara scowled. He saw Chhoti Maa avidly listening to him, but pretending not to hear. No doubt he was being extra loud only to reach her ears. 

"Maybe my going to the States, finally woke up my son to his responsibilities.....yes, it would have been great if he continued in business....yes, I would have liked to see him take over from me....." said Tej, in a put-on mournful voice. 

Omkara knew Mr. Oberoi was lathering it on for Chhoti Maa's benefit, but the more Mr. Oberoi blabbered, the stronger the urge grew in Om to interject and contradict him.

"Om beta, control" Jahnvi came over to stand beside him, watching his growing annoyance from far. "Get a grip on yourself, this party will be over soon, and then you won't have to be hounded by talks of business anymore."

"It's not that, Mom" said Omkara, gritting his teeth. "It's just that....Mom, it's all a lie. Gauri didn't want me to tell anyone, and except Shivaay, no one knows....all the things people are praising me for all the inputs, terms, suggestions, everything I put forward during the negotiations, they were all her, Mom, all Gauri. It wasn't me. Gauri had read through my files one day, when I fell asleep after painting the whole day, and she worked on them, came up with detailed pointers. From then on, I would paint and she would do all the work. All those ideas these people are praising me for....they were all hers. She is the brains behind it, and people are unfairly praising me for it, and I can't take it anymore." 

Jahnvi's eyes widened. So, that's what they fought about yesterday night. 

"Oh my mata!" came a loud voice behind them, like glass crashing on the floor. 

In the seriousness of their conversation, Omkara and Jahnvi had failed to notice that Pinky was standing right behind them.

Pinky was getting more and more riled by Jethji's words. 

Look at him, lapping praise for his son. I know he is doing it to rub it on my face, thought Pinky.

She so wanted to expose  some truths. Her nephew had managed his half of only one deal, while Shivaay had more than a hundred deals completely to his name. But she shouldn't begrudge Jethji this slight pleasure. After all, Omkara had quit the business, he was back to making paintings. He was no threat to Shivaay.