Chapter forty eight

Omkara pulled at the collar of his shirt, trying to loosen it.

"Omkaraji, stop fiddling!" Gauri whispered furiously. "You are making it too obvious."

It was the day of the party. The party suggested by Tej to celebrate Jahnvi's success, and given a stamp of approval by Kalyani, to announce the commencement of the season of festivities. 

"Look at him!" hissed Omkara. "He looks so proud, who gave him the right?" 

"Omkaraji, you're right, and I even I find it odd to see Papaji taking pride in Maaji's achievement, but we can discuss that later. Right now, you need to calm down, or people will start to notice" said Gauri urgently. 

"I don't care for people" Omkara folded his arms. 

"Then you shouldn't have come to this party. But now that you have, you better play up, otherwise, you might dampen the celebrations for Maaji" said Gauri.

Omkara sighed. 

"You're right. I just don't...why is this suit so tight fitting? I hate the dress code Shivaay chose for today."

"Stop complaining" said Gauri, who herself wasn't very pleased with the saree gown outfits Annika had chosen for the women, for this evening. "Maybe you've gained weight."

"Fat chance of that, I get plenty of exercise at night these days" Omkara said with a straight face, while Gauri who had barely giggled at her joke, was blushed into silence. 

Omkara gave a superior sort of smile at the sight of her turning red.

"Hello, what's going on here?" 

The two of them turned to see Pinky, approaching them.

"Jahnvi bhaabhi is the star of the evening, and her son and bahu are hiding in the corner? That won't do. That won't do at all."

And saying so, she pulled them into the center of the party, where everyone else in the family had gathered around Jahnvi. 

"There. This is better. You both shouldn't miss out on the celebration. Especially, not you Gauri, after all, you are part of this as well" said Pinky.

Omkara knew there was a jibe coming his way.

"Well, at least it's some little victory for Jethji. Beta nahi toh bahu hi sahi" (If not son, then daughter-in-law is there) commented Pinky cattily.

This time it was Omkara who gripped Gauri's hand to stop her from saying anything. 

"Remember what you said? We shouldn't ruin this evening for my Mom" he whispered.

"She does this deliberately. Every time. She knew you didn't want to be drawn in, and yet she pulled us into this closed circle here" said Gauri. "And added that insult at the end."

"It's not an insult, Gauri. You know I don't regret not being a businessman" said Omkara.

"I know you don't. But Papaji does" she looked at Tej, and Omkara followed her eyes to see Tej's face turning red since he heard Pinky's words. 

"This is going to be tedious" Omkara rolled his eyes. "Will they ever stop?" 

"Not until one of them kicks the bucket" said Rudra, joining his brother and sister-in-law.

"Rudy bhaiyaa!" scolded Gauri. "Aise nahi bolte!" (Don't say stuff like this)

"Well, it's true" said Shivaay, as he and Annika stood next to the three of them as well.