Chapter four

Tej was on the phone with his team of auditors and legal advisors. He came to a conclusion about what he needed to do, and summoned Omkara to his room

Omkara walked to his father's room, wondering what was up with Mr. Oberoi. The latter had been unusually quiet since their return from Bareilly, and kept to himself. 

Not that Omkara minded, but his total disinterest in whether Omkara progressed in business, was disconcerting to say the least. Omkara knew his father well enough to know that this man's quiet meant that some malicious scheme was concocting in his brain.

"Mr. Oberoi" Omkara announced himself as he entered the room. 

"Om, beta, we have something to discuss, please sit down" said Tej, trying to start this discussion gently.

"Please, lets not pretend Mr.Oberoi. Dispense with the fake politeness. Tell me what you want of me" said Omkara, still standing.

"Fine, let us have it your way. I have looked for suitable matrimonial alliances for you" said Tej, without preamble.

Omkara didn't reply, but of course, he knew about it.

"Everywhere I've come up empty" continued Tej.

Omkara wanted to laugh at his father's failed attempts, but his face showed no change.

"Finally, failing in Mumbai and Delhi, I thought of starting my search elsewhere. Fortunately, I didn't have to look far. I know you would like a urban-educated, cultured girl, maybe like Riddhima, but you aren't particularly highly rated on the marriage mart" said Tej.

"And? That is supposed to make me feel disappointed with myself?" scoffed Omkara. He knew his drug history and lack of business accumen were public knowledge. 

"Of course not. When have either you or Rudra cared about my reputation?" said Tej, heating up a little.

"Like you have cared about it. The greatest blot on me and Rudra are your indiscretions" spat Om.

Tej took a deep breadth. Om was right, his sons were far better human being that he was.

"You are right. Be that as it may, you have to get married, and marry advantageously. Your uncle, my brother, Shakti, married your aunt from a respected family back in our pind (village). Hence, I have also found a girl for you from a rural town" said Tej.

"No" replied Omkara. 

"I know you want a modern..." started Tej, but Om cut him off.

"I don't care about modern or urban. I don't judge people by their origins. But I do care that you would fool an innocent girl, whose family would have no idea about our scandals and disrepute into marrying me, and ruin her life, only to suit your greedy desires" accused Om. "I would not be party to such deceit."

Before Tej could give a counter-argument, Omkara stomped out his room.

Tej sighed. Maybe it was a wrong strategy to approach Om directly with this. Maybe he should consult Jahnvi first. 

Of course, he should consult Jahnvi first, she is his mother, and has equal right to participate in this. 

The only thing was, Tej was too embarrassed to face Jahnvi. But he had to brave up to this some day.

That day would have to be today. 

**********************************************

Tej hesitated before he crossed into Jahnvi's room.