Chapter forty-six

"So, where are we on that?"

Gauri didn't know quite how to put her thoughts. 

"Omkaraji" she hesitated, and sat on the bed. "I told you this morning, I want more out of my life, rather, I want what everyone has out of a relationship, but I don't know if I am ready. Then again, I would never know unless I take the plunge, would I?"

Omkara sat opposite her, "You don't have to rush anything, Gauri, we don't need to rush."

"You don't understand, Omkaraji, it's not.." but Gauri stopped. It was easier explaining this to Richa. She could be like a teenager experiencing new feelings for the first time as well as the woman who grew up fighting terror; both these entities existed within her, and she didn't know which side of her was dominating at this moment. 

"I don't understand what?" asked Omkara, when Gauri didn't finish her sentence. 

"Omkaraji, you said that you will wait for me, right?" said Gauri. 

"Of course" said Omkara.

"How long? How long will you wait?" followed Gauri immediately.

"As long as it takes. Forever, if that's what you want" said Omkara.

"No" Gauri exclaimed, "I mean, I hope not. Let's not say such drastic things. If I told you, I don't want to wait, then?" 

"Gauri, you're going in circles. We are back to where we started, aren't we?" Omkara laughed. "I think you should sleep on it. You'll think clearer tomorrow morning."

Gauri wanted to argue, she wanted to press her point, but she relented. She wasn't able to express herself as clearly as she hoped, and there was no point trying to explain to Omkaraji, before she could. 

"Gauri, don't stress so much over this. I just picked up the thread of the conversation from this morning, because I was curious. Don't let it weigh on you so heavily" Omkara gestured her to sleep off, as he lied down.

Easy for him to say, thought Gauri, as she switched off her bedside lamp. Omkaraji was trying to be kind, but it wasn't working. 

********************************************************

Tej didn't make an appearance on the breakfast table next morning, to everyone's relief. No one was ready to witness a divorced Tej and Jahnvi dining on the same table yet. 

But how long can this cat and mouse game go on? thought Jahnvi. She had told Tej that this is his home and she has no right to tell him to go. But he had refused and decided that he will leave. However, she had postponed his departure, but for how long? Eventually he will leave, and that wouldn't be bad, would it? It would be rather awkward for them to reside in the same house now, though they had managed during the past six months, somehow, by avoiding each other. 

"Mom" whispered Omkara, who was sitting next to her. "You are not eating."

Jahnvi had been playing with her food for a while now. She gave a slight nod, and bit into her toast. 

She felt all strong last night, with her children by her side, but this morning was different. Her strength hadn't left her, but something had shifted. She had been liberated a long time now, but perhaps, the first day as a divorced wife was supposed to make some difference. 

Looking straight, she saw Gauri shifting her food around her plate as well. Well, she wasn't the only one absent-minded this morning. 

"So, how are your counseling sessions going?" asked Jahnvi.