Chapter forty-nine

"You look pretty upbeat today"

Gauri commented as she saw Omkara entering the room, whistling a tune.

"Dadi was just telling me that today is the final day of Navratri" he responded. 

"Did our Navratri celebration bother you so much?" Gauri hoped the hurt in her heart didn't sound in her voice.

"I don't much care which festival is currently in season for the family, but I was worried over your fasting. As if you don't already rise early everyday, there was so much added burden on you. You really shouldn't have talked me out of having a frank discussion with Dadi over work distribution" complained Omkara.

"Oh, it's that" said Gauri, relieved. 

"What else did you think it was?" Omkara asked curiously.

"I don't know, I thought maybe you find me over-religious or something" said Gauri uncertainly. 

"Please, Gauri, you know I don't care about other people's beliefs as long as they are not forced upon me. What I do care about is your health, you should've refused Dadi. Just because you are devoted to God, doesn't mean you let people take advantage of it" said Omkara.

"I don't think Dadi did it intentionally" said Gauri.

"Of course, she didn't. But it's unfair to pile all work on you. I know Mom also felt the same, but since herself is on thin ice with Dadi, she didn't voice out this grievance" said Omkara.

"Dadi didn't mean to, Omkaraji, and I have been overseeing Navratri celebrations at my village, since I was a kid, it really wasn't much of a task" said Gauri.

"In your village, every other woman also joined in. No offense, but you did considerably more than 'overseeing' here, what with Mom, Annika bhaabhi, and even Chhoti Maa completely at sea about how these events are conducted. Every year, we have slightly more muted celebration of Navratri, but this year, I guess Dadi got over-excited, seeing someone of your expertise present in the mansion. You should've just pretended that you know nothing more than the others" said Omkara.

"Omkaraji, you are telling me to lie?" Gauri raised an eyebrow. "Besides, it wouldn't have been believable. Every girl in my village is well versed in fasting and puja and everything else, plus, I am the daughter of a Thakur family, no one would've bought your idea."

Omkara scowled, "Well, it's only one more day now. Next year for Navratri we're going to Bareilly."

"Really, Omkaraji?" Gauri sat up excitedly.

"Of course, I know you missed home this time, and moreover, I won't have you subjected to excess work like this, again" said Omkara decisively.

"Oh, thank you, Omkaraji" Gauri hugged Omkara, smiling brightly.

"Don't thank me yet, next year is still far away" Omkara laughed. 

"It's the thought that counts. And that you said, 'we', that's more than anything" said Gauri.

"But of course, I am coming with you. Don't you know by now, how much I love Bareilly?" chuckled Omkara. 

Gauri knew it was her that he really loved and not Bareilly, though Omkaraji was rather fond of her village or so he had claimed previously on a few occasions. She didn't much care; that Omkaraji thought of her wishes, and would choose her over being with his family next year for Navratri, was more than what one could hope for. 

*******************************************************

"Psst...Omkaraji."

Omkara rolled his eyes, and walked over to his wife.