Chapter eight

"Stop glowering" whispered Rudra. 

They were sitting in the seats reserved for the Ladke vaale (groom's family), and the Sangeet ceremony was about to start. The Roka got over a few hours back, and they were back again in the Haveli for the Sangeet and Mehendi. 

It was more a jashn (celebration with song and dance) rather than a Sangeet. People were entering in large groups, bearing gifts, there were folk dancers in one corner of the Haveli, Gauri's friends and relatives in another corner. Even Rudra, Soumya, Annika bhaabhi, Prinku had prepared something last week, on a short notice, and were ready to perform as well. 

This was nothing joyful like Shivaay's sangeet, thought Omkara. 

However, that hadn't guaranteed a joyous wedding for Shivaay either, though everyone else had enjoyed. 

"Why are these people so happy?" Omkara retorted to Rudra.

"Because its a wedding, O. They don't know the circumstances behind it. For them, a friend, relative is getting married. While you were busy sulking, I, Soumya and Prinku, went exploring the village. Soumya and Prinku found this place really cute and the people really nice. Your Gauri is much loved, and her family much respected, here. She is special to the people of this village" said Rudra.

"She is not mine. She is nothing to me" said Omkara, angrily under his breadth. 

Rudra sighed and gave up trying to cajole his brother.

"Fine, sit here and mourn. I met some gorgeous village belles who are interested to know about my bike and gym, so I'm going over to talk to them" said Rudra and left. 

Omkara noticed Soumya, Annika bhaabhi and Prinku were also busy chatting with some of Gauri's relatives. Soumya looked like she was sharing some of her famous 'research' on men versus women with them. Good for her. 

Well, at least his brother and sisters were having fun.

Shivaay, Chhote Papa, and Mr. Oberoi were busy talking with Durga Thakur. Perhaps they were discussing more business. 

His mother, Dadi, and Chhoti Maa, were involved deeply in discussing something animatedly with the wives of landowners here. 

The conspicuous absence of Kali Thakur unsettled Omkara. From what he gathered about the man last time he met him, Kali Thakur was not a man to miss a celebration like this. He loved music and dance, and drinks. 

Omkara remembered how that man had tried to dissuade Om against the wedding by nearly badmouthing his niece and sister-in-law. There was something fishy here. 

Thinking of the niece.....

*************************************************

Gauri didn't like sitting alone like this. 

Maybe because of the danger that had always surrounded her, her parents and friends ensured she was never alone for a minute outside home.

Of course, she wasn't alone. She was sitting in the corner of the hall, seeing the gathering all around her. Soon, the Sangeet ceremony would start, and there would music and dance.

However, presently, her hands were feeling slightly heavy with the intricate mehendi on it drying. She won't be able to remove it until tomorrow morning. Of course, the mehendi had to be dark, the darker the mehendi, the deeper the love of her husband, or so they said. 

Gauri wanted to laugh when the Badi Thakurain said that. The only deep feeling her future husband had towards her was dislike, if not hatred. She hoped he didn't hate her, but seeing at how he scowled at everybody since he arrived here, she knew she was hoping for the impossible.