Chapter Seventeen

Ash / September 14th

My day began with a knock on the door.

"Come in" I said groggily, expecting it to be Gary or my mom

To my surprise, Serena entered through the room, a friendly smile plastered on her face -- during the past few weeks, I had begun to experience feelings for her unlike I had ever felt for a female friend of mine, and both Gary and my mom had said that it was because I liked her romantically --

"Hey Ash"

I yawned. "Hey Serena. What brings you here?"

"Did you just wake up?" She asked

"Yeah, why?" I responded

She pointed to my alarm clock, which displayed the current time in yellow digits. "It's almost one in the afternoon"

"Oh"

"Anyways, I was just hoping we could talk real quick" She said, pressing her index fingers against each other nervously -- it was cute.

"What's up?" I asked, sitting up as she sat down on my bed, crisscrossed, facing me

"You know how I was upset over my dad passing?" She asked me to remember, and I confirmed with a hum. "Well, there was another thing I learned... Have you ever heard of something called an elemental master?"

 Have you ever heard of something called an elemental master?"

"Elemental master... I might have heard it somewhere once" I said

"Well..." She hesitated, as if she didn't know how to explain. "Basically, when an elemental master passes -- there's one for each Pokemon typing -- a successor around our age is chosen. My dad... well, he was the fairy-type master, and I was chosen to follow him"

I took a couple seconds to process what she had said. "Thats... pretty cool, I guess"

She sighed. "I don't think you get it. X and Y can use all of those crazy, unknown, and powerful moves because they're the dark and fire masters. Ash, you're a master too -- water"