Chapter 22

Over time in the following week, my injuries healed quickly, but my thoughts of getting better and helping my issues still remained. I looked at the outside from my open blinds of my window. Leaves were all over our front yard and our six trees beside our driveway were very close to being branchy and leafless. The orange and gold shades of said leaves shined against the sun's rays. With it being October, it was pretty cool, and the skies were mostly grey and cloudy. I enjoyed this kind of weather. The dark shade of the clouds gave it a depressing atmosphere. I wondered about going out there and being under them, but didn't because I had no interest in going outside.

Boredom came back again and I was stuck with no hobbies. I thought about going on my computer and playing on a little animation program I downloaded, but I felt no inspiration.

A bit into the day, my grandpa entered my room and sat down on my bed.

"Now, you gon have to stop all this fighting, now", he said firmly, "I don't want you coming home no more because you started something with somebody and you went up there actin a fool with 'em. You should be going to school and getting your lessons and doin and gettin good grades. Don't mess with nobody no more."

I just nodded, not saying a word. It was rare for him to get angry with me because I didn't want to get on his bad side. Even though he was an elderly, his other side could be a little frightening.

"I want you to take your little butt back up there and finish them grades, and don't you mess or fool with nobody else. You worry about you. Ain't nobody else worth thinking about", he repeated.

Once again, I did some slow nods. He looked at me for a few more seconds before getting up to go back to the den to watch TV.

His words circled around my head. Now, that I was out of school again, I knew my grades would go down even further with me being absent and not getting new topics to focus on. This also meant that I would have more make-up work to finish. I then vowed to myself to stay out of harm's way and do better with myself. Being 17 was hard, but hopefully things would be more simpler at 18, though ironically I would be an adult at that point and becoming an adult was where your life would REALLY develop obstacles for you that you have to toughen up and dodge if you could.

I was also thinking about Luis. He loved being goofy, he loved having fun, he loved unintentionally breaking rules for the sake of making high school memories, but when can this doofus get in his mind that doing those kinds of things gets you into the most awful of complications? That trying to have fun in school literally doesn't mean be an ass and make the teachers mad because you are going against the regulations? I knew I would have to talk to him as well, but with this being his second week and still being at home with no way of him getting in touch with me, I didn't quite know how to yet.

----------

Around midnight after a whole day of just being lazy from lack of motivation to go anywhere or do anything, I stayed sat up on my bed, mind still full. My grandparents had long gone to sleep, but my mom still hadn't come home yet. She must've went with a friend or something after work and wouldn't be back until morning. That's what usually happened when she didn't return.

Just then, a small knock came from my bedroom window. I went over to it and peeked between two of my blinds. In the darkness was.....Luis? But he was supposed to be locked up at home? What the hell was he doing way out here near 1 am in the morning?

I went to my back door to let him in. I opened it not too noisily so my grandparents wouldn't wake up.

"What the hell are you doing here?", I whispered, "I thought your aunt said that you were grounded."