Chapter 21

NOT EDITED!

Veni POV:

I heard Arjun clearing his throat for the third time during our ride to home. I know he wants to ask questions, but I am neither in mood nor have energy to lie to his face. I need some time to process on what really happened and then react. I shouldn't lose my cool today at any cost.

I glanced down at Angel, who was sleeping in my arms, but she was clutching me like a baby monkey. I can feel my lips curving into a smile without me trying. I brushed a small kiss on her forehead earning a small yawn and a beautiful smile from her.

"She is going to break so many hearts for sure" I said, shaking my head.

"She will be a heartbreaker" I heard him say.

I tightened the grip around Angel unconsciously making her wriggle in my hands. The temperature in the car dropped suddenly and the silence was too palpable. I can feel his eyes on me and his fits tightening on the wheel with his knuckles turning white.

"Did you say something?" He asked, I sighed and nodded my head negatively. Thankfully, we reached home in less time than I have anticipated.

When I was about to go to my room, I finally heard him saying "I need to talk to you" making me stop on my tracks. "About my mother" he added making me close my eyes in frustration.

'Why can't he do both of us a favor and let this go?' I thought shaking my head. I took a deep breath before turning to face him.

"I am very tired right now, Arjun. Can we have this conversation tomorrow?" I asked him politely making him sigh in exasperation.

"Please" I heard him say, he was closing his eyes tightly and his hands curled into fists. Taking a deep breath, I nodded knowing very well that he couldn't see me.

"I will be back in few minutes" His eyes flew open surprise. I just gestured Aadhya and left without saying a word. I placed Aadhya in her crib carefully and pressed a kiss on her forehead.

"Thank you for saving me from myself" I whispered in her ears and turned around but stopped when I felt a tight grip on my finger.

"Are you really back to be with me one more time?" I slightly brushed her hair tenderly and pressed another kiss on her cheek.

"I cannot get enough of you, Angel. Is this how every mother feels?" I asked her, knowing well that I wouldn't get an answer.

"I love you so much Angel, more than you can ever imagine" with one last kiss to her other cheek, I freed my finger from her hold and started moving where I have left Arjun trying to buy as much as time I can.

He was sitting in his usual place with his face in his hands. I cleared my throat making my presence known and took a seat which is opposite to him.

"I- I-" he started to say something.

"I met your mom a few years ago" I started without giving him a chance to formulate a question. I don't want him to think anything other than what I wish to say.

"We were acquaintances of sorts. She used to go to same orphanage I frequent. We met there and kind of became friends" I glanced at him and he nodded. "I have learned Bharat's mom and your mom were kind of competitors in whatever they do. They used to have this frenemy kind of relationship that's all" he nodded again.

My eyes narrowed at him. I hate it when I couldn't read him or anyone in that matter. I need to be cool and levelheaded and not him.

"Your mother and I" I gulped "We were friends until a few years ago then we kind of lost touch" I finished. He nodded again making me sigh.

When I was about to stand, I heard him ask "I didn't see you at her funeral" his eyes turned impossibly cold.

I closed my eyes and sat back on my seat and gulped. Her death wasn't something I wish to discuss right now.

"I am sorry for your loss" I uttered gripping the cushion on my chair like my life depended on it.

"Why didn't you attend her funeral if you both are as close as Mrs. Sharma says" he queried, brushing off my words.

"I was not in town" I said standing up from my place. A strong grip on my wrist stopped me from moving or rather running to my safe sanctuary.

"You were never in town for anyone who needs you right?" he asked with so much venom in his tone, I gasped at the sight of him. He was looking at me with so much disgust in his eyes.

"You were never in town when your sister needed you. And now, you were not in town when my mother passed away. You couldn't come to her funeral though you know she had passed away. How can you be so selfish?" shaking me vigorously.

'I wish I was so selfish' I wanted to scream and through a big tantrum on how he was not being fair, but all I could do was concentrate on my breathing and it is not easy.

I can feel my breath haggard and eyes blurring.

I can feel my body giving up slowly.

"Wish you were here" I whispered. Yes, I wish she was here to guide him... and me.

Then everything was blank and peaceful.

Arjun POV:

"I was not in town" I lost my temper when she uttered those words.

How can she be so unaffected by this?

How can she be so selfish?

And people love her for being so selfish!

"You were never in town when your sister needed you. And now, you were not in town when my mother passed away. You couldn't come to her funeral though you know she had passed away. How can you be so selfish?" I have no idea why I was so shaken by the idea of her being so selfish.

If what Mrs. Sharma says was true, then my mother must have adored her. She always wished for a daughter and wanted to adopt a girl, but my pathetic excuse of a father denied her every wish. She used to adore every girl she used to get acquainted with.

My mother was a very kind and loving woman.

She was loved by so many people.

And look at the person in front of me.

How can someone be so nonchalant about one's death?

There was no emotion when she was saying that she wasn't in town.

No sadness.

No tears.

And No regret.

I don't know when I reached her, but I started shaking her shoulders uttering whatever comes to my mouth. I couldn't control my anger anymore.

I finally stopped, not because I wasn't furious anymore, but she went limp in my hands.

"Wish you were here" was all I heard before she went cold in my arms.