Chapter 29

Ellison Taylor

"Please." He said shaking his head in disagreement. "I beg you, I want another chance with you." My eyes shifted from the firework to him. I give him a small smile.

"It's difficult." I said. "It's so difficult to look at you without thinking about that incident. I tried putting it behind me, but I can't." My jaw clenched at that thought. When I saw his disappointing look."We can try being friends again?" I said with wide eyes, surprise by the sudden offer."Start from the beginning?" I must be crazy, just few moments back I was determined to be strangers and look at me, now.

He looked at me with a small smile. "We can start from the beginning. This time, no lies and only honesty?."

"Thank you." I said. We could hear the laughter and excitement around us and for once I was jealous. I wanted to feel the excitement too, I want to be loved too.

"Joe, he's my body guard, will be following us." He said when we decided to leave. "I'll drive you home and then he will drive me home." I see the Range Rover blinking opposite us.

"I can drive myself home." I said. I don't know how I will feel having him in the close space after an intense conversation about our past.

"Please allow me to." He pleads. "The least I can do?" I contemplated and soon agreed.

"How is work?" He asked.

"Are you asking as a friend or my boss?"

He smiled. "Just in general?"

"Not bad.." I said.

"Any changes you like to see in the upcoming future?"

"Are you asking my suggestion?" I teased and he laughed. It feels nice to talk about something apart from that.

"You can say that." He said after he calmed down a little. "No harm in hearing people's opinion and suggestion."

"So far, all good." I said thoughtfully. "It would be nice if we can work as hard for the local designers as we do for the top designers. I feel like the company only focuses on the top designers." I frowned.

"Noted." He paused. "You have any local designer that you wanted to work for?"

"Laurie Smith." I said, "her designs are wonderful." I suddenly became excited. "She showed me good collections for fall, but apparently our company didn't want to look like a local charity organization." I frowned.

"We'll try to fix that." He paused.

"Because everyone starts from somewhere right?" I said, suddenly angry at the management team.

"I totally agree." He said. "Any other concern?"

"You should ask the cleaning staffs for their opinion because they shared about how unfair their payments and benefits are.."

"I'll look into that." He frowned.

"It's too much, right?" I said, apologetically. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to throw so much at you all at once."

"No." He shake his head. "I asked you for your opinion."

"There are a lot of things that need works on.." I said. "Are you going to be in the office a lot often now?"

"I wish." He chuckled. "I'll be in and out, actually. I will be promoting some people and they will be taking over some of the positions in the company."

"You mean you will be changing some of the people's position?"

"I'll be changing the directors." He said. "But don't worry, I won't change your position."

"Why?" I asked. "If you have to change me. You have to- you don't have to feel bad. You're doing your job as the CEO and I'm doing my job. If you feel someone is better than me, you should change me."

"That's exactly why I don't want to change your position. You fit just right for the position."

"You know what my position is?"

"Of course." He said with a guilty tone. "I did some research on you when I first saw you in the lobby."

"We actually met before that." I said.

"What?" He said giving me a brief look.

"We met in the elevator.. days back-you were busy on your phone."

His eyes widened and he give me an accusing look. "I know you hated me, but you literally ignored me?"

"What am I suppose to do? Say hi to you?" I asked,confused.

"Well, you could have." He sighed.

"I could have, but I didn't because it would have been awkward." I pointed out.

"Let's not ignore each other when we meet now." He said quickly looking at me before looking in front.

"You're my boss, I can't really ignore you."

"Apart from that." He said rolling his eyes at me.

"Do you think we can be friends?" I asked.

"I hope we can be more." He sighed.

"What?"

"If it was really a game to me, I wouldn't have made an effort to run after you now, would I? I want us to be friends and then more if possible." My eyes widened.

"So you did like me?"

"Of course." He said. "How can I not? Your clumsiness shows how imperfect a human can be."

"Thanks for that comment." This time I rolled my eyes.

"No one is perfect. We all keep forgetting that. You never wanted to be perfect. You were always clumsy and that's what made me found you cute. Your clumsiness wants me to protect you and your innocence is what I had to hold on." His hand tighten on the wheels. "I wish things would have been different."

"Did you and Brooke?" I asked as I played with my fingers nervously. "When we broke up?"

"Date?" He completed my sentence. "You do know about the details, don't you?"

"El and Cooper told me."

"No, I didn't. I couldn't, how can I when I saw you like that? And I was angry at her for even humiliating you in front of the school. That was not part of the deal." His angelic face turned dark.

"What was actually the part of the deal, then?"

"I was suppose to make you fall in love with me and if I did Brooke and I would go out. I must have been nuts for wanting to go out with her." He said annoyed.

"I hope you are making better decisions in life." I said.

"Oh yes." He said. "I think a lot now before I speak and I make sure that if anyone take back their words after a few is made.I take legal actions now."

"That's interesting."

He smiled, "Glad you found that interesting." And I laughed and today was the day, after eight years that I was this happy and carefree.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading this book, please give this chapter a Vote and share this book with other readers. Thank you!