Chapter 8

Ellison Taylor

"Would you like a refill of your coffee, Joe." I asked the old guy who was reading his newspaper.

"Sure." He said as he put down his newspaper and watch me pour his drink. "How is school?"

"Same old." I shrugged. "Nothing exciting."

"When I was your age, I used to be very popular in high school." He said proudly.

"You must be those funny guys."

"No." He laughed. "Trust me, I was wild and bad." I chuckled as I imagined him being wild and bad, but it sounded too unrealistic as he was one of the nicest customer, ever.

My shift ended before closing and before Brent's shift was over which means that I have to get home by myself.

I stood in the bus stop while checking the bus app to see the upcoming bus and I was glad, it was few minutes away. I got on the empty bus and checked my social media.

I got a follow request on Instagram and saw it was from Ian and shake my head. Not going to add him, with him following me around in school is enough for me.

When I got home, the lights was off. Our parents left for business trips together which means now I have to figure out dinner. I decided to stick to salmon and mashed potatoes along with asparagus. Brent texted me saying he have to work overtime so most likely he won't be eating with me. I pouted at the thought and decided to shower first and then eat. I came back downstairs half an hour later to eat. The house was unusually quiet and the only sound that was coming was from the TV that was playing in the background. I pour myself some water as I begin to eat in the counter rather than the usual empty dinner table. Given the job our parents do, they have to travel a lot for businesses which is why Brent had to take responsibilities at a very young age. He never complaint but I think he is overwhelmed by it. I did the dishes and put his dinner in a glass box just in case he doesn't want to eat that time and then can microwave it later.

Claire texted me that Ian has been bothering her and has been asking her for my number and I replied with Upper Cases No. I got ready for bed, but before that making sure that I locked the doors and windows of the house and put the blinds. It was 10:45 pm and Brent was still not home and without realizing I fell asleep. The next morning, Claire woke me up with her unusual phone call in the morning.

"I have the car today, I'm coming in an hour to pick you up." She screamed on the phone before I could have questioned her she ended her car.

I groaned as I stared at my phone. I lowered the brightness of my phone as I scrolled through my social media. I got up to take a shower and pack my lunch. Brent was home as I see his key hanging near the door. I made myself avocado toast with fried egg on top and pack some lunch.

Claire declares she was here by honking in the quiet neighbourhood. As soon as I opened the door. Alan Walker's music blasted in the Mini Cooper that belongs to her mom.

"How come you can drive today?" I asked as I was putting my seat belt.

"Mom is working from home, today." She said.

I nodded my head. She drove slowly as she enjoyed the moment driving. We parked far away in the parking lot. I see Ian parked in front leaning on his black Mercedes, surrounded by students. He was checking his phone, most likely texting his friends or whoever. He didn't notice us walking passed him as we entered the building. Most of the students who was in was usually the students trying to avoid the other groups and also to avoid the later crowd. Claire and I quickly went to our locker to put things away and also to get ready for our classes.

Ian walked in looking bored as he scanned around the hallway and when his eyes met mine I can see him getting ready to tease me while I pretended I didn't see him.

Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned to see Wilson who tapped me on my shoulder. He is one of our closest classmates who was extremely shy but if he is comfortable with you he can make you laugh like crazy. He hangs around with us sometime, but most of the time he is busy with studies.

"Ellison." He greeted me. "Good morning."

"Morning." I said with a smile. I haven't seen him for a week now. "Where have you been?"

"I was not well." He said.

"Are you okay now?" I asked, concerned.

"All good." He said. "Where is Claire?"

"She went to the washroom before the crowds come in."

"Makes sense." He said to me. "I'll wait for you guys."

"Sure." I said. I sense someone towering behind me. Judging by Wilson's surprise face, it must be someone he never expected that person and sure enough was Ian who give him a look as he stood close to me.

"Who are you?" Ian asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Wilson." He said confidently as he give me a look and I give him a small smile. I'm glad he is confident, most people's confident flies into thin air when Ian and his friends are around which most likely boost their ego confidence.

"Very well." He said. "What are you doing here?" And this time I give him a raised eye brow look to which he simply ignored it.

"I'm a student, so of course I study over here." Wilson said, chuckling.

"Genius." Ian remarked sarcastically. "What do you want from her?" He asked with a serious tone.

"Hey!" I said, cutting him off from his rudeness.

"She's my friend." Wilson said with equally challenging tone. "I can talk to her, why are you even here in the first place. Last time I checked you didn't even know she existed."

Not that I know Ian for a long time personally, but sometime you can sense when there will be trouble and I can sense that Ian will either be in trouble or bring trouble and seeing his hand in a fist. I was worried that it will be latter and worried about Wilson.

"Relax." I said. "What's the stress about?"

"There is no stress." Ian said looking at me as he made eye contact.

"Exactly." Wilson said. "We are just having him a conversation."

If you call conversations like that, boy I rather step out from there than to witness fist fight.

Claire came just in time. She squealed as she saw Wilson.

"What's with the new look?" He asked as he looked at her with a surprised look.

She simply flipped her hair, proudly and when she noticed Ian. Her walls built up as she stood tall and confidently.

"What brings you here today?" This time she questions him.

"Just came to say hi to you guys." Ian answered coolly as he put his arm on my shoulder. Wilson noticed that but didn't say anything else. I moved his arm away, but he simply position it back.

"Let's get going." He said. "Or we will be late today."

"Where is El and Cooper?" I asked.

"They are not coming in today?"

"Why?" I asked.

"You should be focusing on me, peanut. Forget about my friends." He teased as I rolled my eyes.

Wilson mumbled something under his breath while Ian give him a cold look. Seems like it will be a fun day, note the sarcasm.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading this book, please give this chapter a Vote and a share. Thank you for all your support ❤️