four.

Piper led the two teams inside her home and to one of the many closets in one of the many corridors.

“Where'd Tristan go?” Annabeth asked.

Piper made a face. “He got a call from Jane. Had to fill in for someone on set.”

Annabeth finished drying her face and threw the towel over her shoulder. “That's too bad. He seemed to be having fun.”

Piper smiled a little bit. “He was.”

She pulled a cardboard box from the closet and set it in Percy's arms. “Take it to the living room. Annabeth will show you the way.”

“Yes, ma'am,” Percy responded, to which Annabeth snorted. As they walked away, she didn't miss how Jason grabbed Piper's hand.

Annabeth felt for her best friend too. Tristan McLean was an actor – an actor with a pretty big name. And to leave during one of their Annual Yard Games must've hit Piper hard, no matter how much she tried to brush it off.

Annabeth was content she was in good hands, though, and beckoned Percy to follow. They entered the mostly empty living room, save for the massive couch and tv setup directly in front of that.

Percy set the box down and plopped himself on the soft couch. Annabeth rolled her eyes and opened the worn flaps of the cardboard box.

Inside were tons of colorful balloons, already blown up, resembling that of a ball pit. Annabeth raised an eyebrow and picked one up.

She threw it at Percy's relaxed figure. It fluttered gently into his lap, and he looked up at Annabeth.

“A balloon? What are we doing now?”

“Ballon blow,” Piper said, walking through the doorway beside Jason. “Each team gets one balloon, and the first one to let their balloon drop loses. Usually you'd keep it up by blowing it, hence the name, but I tweaked it a bit so we can hit it.”

Jason moved to the box and plucked one out. “Kinda like volleyball,” he added. “But you're only passing between two on a team.”

Piper nodded. “You can go anywhere, but try to stay in this room. It doesn't matter how you hit the balloon, just don't let it hit the ground. If it pops, you're out.”

Annabeth sighed. She grabbed the balloon from Percy's hands and threw it up, catching it as it floated down awkwardly. “This isn't gonna end well,” she muttered.

“That's true,” Piper said, having heard her. “Team Jasper is going to beat Percabeth so bad, they won't know what hit them.”

Percy stood from his place on the couch and moved beside Annabeth. He seemed to understand how much she wanted to win this, and was behind her all the way.

“This game doesn't usually last too long, and my dad ordered pizza for after.” Piper got into position in front of Jason. “I'll call go this time.”

Annabeth moved so she was facing Percy. She didn't realize he was looking at her until she positioned the balloon in her hands to throw upwards.

Out of nowhere, Piper called, “Onyourmarksgetsetgo!”

Annabeth made a fist and started Team Percabeth off, launching the balloon towards Percy.

He took a few steps back and slapped it back towards her. Annabeth had to lunge to the left to catch it head on, but the balloon moved strangely way far to the right. Percy dodged Jason, who was hitting his own balloon back to Piper, just barely giving it enough force to reach Annabeth again.

Annabeth bumped her fist against it with much less force, and Percy closed a good bit of the distance between them to hit it back.

It continued like that for a while; back and forth and back and forth. Annabeth glanced at Jasper, who were keeping the same amount of control as they were. In her distracted state, she hit the balloon much too hard.