two.

Percy scratched the back of his head. “So. . .how'd they get you to come?”

Annabeth furrowed her brow. “Piper's a good friend. You?”

Percy shrugged. “Jason kidnapped me,” he said, his face completely straight.

Annabeth studied him. She bit her tongue to keep from saying, Sure you aren't Piper's boyfriend?

Instead, she muttered, “Nice.”

And now the awkwardness was sinking in.

“Annabeth!” Piper called from the backyard. “Come on! We're going to start the games. Percy, too!”

Annabeth made her way over, Percy following.

When they arrived, Percy looked around. “Um. . .did you say we're going to start?”

Piper nodded.

Annabeth shared a look with Percy. “Pipes, there's no one here.”

“Sure there are,” Piper responded. “There's four of us, five if you count my dad. Right, Jason?”

Jason also nodded. “Yup. Just enough to do a one-legged race, I think.”

“It is,” Piper agreed. She rubbed her hands together. “I'll be on Jason's team. Which leaves you two to team up.”

Annabeth stared blankly at her best friend for longer than a few seconds.

“What about your dad?” Percy asked, also seeming hesitant.

Piper waved her hand, indicating it didn't matter. “He's referee.”

Jason held out two small bungee cords, one orange and the other purple. “Just tie your left legs together at the starting line.”

Annabeth didn't take the cord. “Seriously, Piper, where is everybody?”

Piper sighed exaggeratingly and gestured to the four of them. “We're all right here. Now are you going to tie yourselves together or do I have to?”

–––––––––––––––––––––––––– ✨

Annabeth was not enjoying herself.

Percy seemed to share her views of the situation.

They stood before a spray painted white line, standing as far apart as they could when tied together at the legs. Jason and Piper were finishing tying their own legs, and Tristan McLean stood at the other line across the yard, ready to declare one team the winner.

“Okay.” Piper clapped her hands together, limping to the line with Jason. “Now for team names.”

Annabeth sent her friend an unbelieving glare.

Piper smiled cheerfully and pointed to herself. “We're Team Jiper. You two are Team Percabeth.”

Percy frowned. “Perca–what?”

“Percabeth,” Piper repeated. “I smooshed your names together.”

Annabeth opened her mouth to protest, but Piper cut her off.

“When my dad calls go, we race to the other line. Whoever gets there first wins.”

Percy held up his hands. “Wait, wait, wait. . .Percabeth?”

Annabeth rolled her eyes. “Piper, this is ridiculous.”

Piper held up her forefinger and moved it back and forth. “Uh uh uh, don't address me as Piper. It's Jiper. I'm apart of a team now, as are you, Percabeth.”