Chapter 14: I Feel Joy

So I'm sitting here with my Moroccan Mint tea, some piano music playing, and I'm wrapped up in my favorite blanket. Let's do this thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((MARSHALL'S POV))

I ended up rummaging through my closet for a good fifteen minutes because everything I suggested Jack to wear was either "too vampy" or "too dark". Honestly, what else did he expect from me? Who knew a guy so desperate for friendship would be so picky once he actually had it.

I pulled out a navy blue button up shirt, some faded skinny denim, and tossed the clothing articles at his stupid face.

"Those are the last two pieces I have in this closet and if you don't put them on then you're going to have to go naked because I have nothing else for you to wear!" I threw my hands up in complete frustration.

Jack raised a brow at me from his position on the end of my bed. "I'd have to go out naked? Now, now, Marshall. Behave yourself please." A sly smirk danced across his slim features.

I rolled my eyes. "Jack for God's sake can you please just put the damn clothes on before I cancel this outing you planned?"

Jack held up his hands in mock surrender. "Okay, okay. Don't get your knickers in a twist. Now turn around. I don't give out shows for free."

I let out a short laugh as I turned to walk out of my bedroom and to the bathroom across the hallway. I splashed some warm water on my face, brushed my fangs to perfection, and tousled my already messy black fringe.

Why was I getting so worked up with my appearance for Jack? I shook my head, deciding I was being ridiculous. But despite the questions I had, I gave myself one last look in the mirror, liking what I saw, and walked back over to my bedroom.

I glanced around to make sure the maids haven't come upstairs yet. Seeing that the coast was clear, I quickly knocked on the door; hearing Jack give me the okay to enter, I pushed the door open and silently closed it behind me. I gasped at what I saw next.

There stood jack in front of my floor length mirror... shirtless.

Feeling oddly flustered by this image, I looked out the window, hoping he didn't notice my discomfort.

"Hey Marshall... I just realized something very important..." Jack's voice was somewhat downcast, nothing like his normal upbeat tone.

I glanced up at him to see a slight pout on his face. "What would that be?"

Jack looked at me with a sullen expression. "We can't go because I'm invisible to literally every human being... You're going to look odd by yourself. We won't be able to have any real fun together... I'm sorry for making a huge deal out of wanting to go. I was so caught up in the idea of doing something fun that I forgot the most important detail of my existence."

I frowned at his response. I didn't like seeing him depressed. I suddenly felt a strange need to please this boy and make him smile again.

Just then. I had a brilliant idea. "Wait a second Jack!"

He looked at me in confusion. "What?..."

I grinned wildly at him. "Stay right there and don't move a muscle. I'll be right back." And with that I dashed out of the room.

*     *     *     *

I had managed to sneak into my father's bedroom without being caught. I knew just where I needed to look. I walked over to my mother's night stand and rummaged through her jewelry box.

"Forgive me mother. But this is really important to me." I whispered as I stole a single blue sapphire ring from the box and snuck back up to my room."

*     *     *     *

"Jack come here." I proudly stated as I re-entered my room.

Jack approached me with confusion plastered on his face. "What is that ring for?" He pointed at my hand.

I smiled and grabbed his outstretched hand placing the ring on his middle finger. "Now Jack. This ring is very important, and it's extremely special to me. So the fact that I'm even letting you wear it is extremely rare okay?"

Jack covered his mouth with his free hand and gasped. "Why Marshall! You shouldn't have!"

I frowned. "What are you rambling about now?"

He proceeded to wipe away an invisible tear as he threw his arms around my neck. "Yes of course I'll marry you!"

I rolled my eyes as it dawned upon me that he was playing another of his stupid games. I pried myself from his grasp and held his shoulders at an arms length away from my body.

"Jack be serious for a moment will you? This isn't a silly proposal. That ring I'm letting you wear is a family heirloom. A one of a kind. It has magical properties that will grant you one wish for as long as you wear it. But as soon as you take it off, whatever you wished for will fade away instantly. Now, if you really want to go out to this theme park with me and be seen, you have to hold that thought in your mind. You have to want to be visible, and this ring will grant you that wish. Do you understand?" I gazed into his icy blue eyes and watched as a genuine smile spread across his mouth.

"You're doing this for me?"

"Yes I'm doing it for you. Now let's get out of here before the maids come to clean up my room!"

Jack nodded and I closed my eyes focusing on the empty space before me, willing it to open a path. I opened my eyes and watched as the empty space cracked and a darkness could be seen from the other side.

I stepped halfway into the portal I created and gestured Jack to follow me.

He hesitantly stepped towards me. "Are you sure this is safe?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, now come on!" I grabbed his forearm and pulled him into the portal with me.

I looked over my shoulder as I saw the crack in the air close, and a cold wind greeted us as we found ourselves on a snow covered side walk. A few people were in their cars, whizzing by. In the distance, the winter theme park with a giant ice rink could be seen.

I glanced at Jack and watched as a man walked past us, giving the two of us a brief smile and nod.

Jack hesitantly raised his hand in an awkward wave. "H-he saw me... He actually saw me!" Jack laughed and looked all around him.

I smiled at the joy that was radiating off of him. He was like a child again. It's amazing what simple things can do for someone.

"He won't be the only one that can see you. Now come on. Let's go to this Theme Park you were raving about this morning." I started walking towards the park and heard quick footsteps behind me.

A blur of blue and white raced past me and I heard Jack shout, "Catch me if you can loser!"

I smiled and raced the silver haired boy to the park entrance.

For the first time in a long time... I felt joy.