Chapter 19: Dressing Wounds and Stupid Idiots

I was able to sneak Jack out of the castle dungeon and into the servants quarters without being noticed. It was a Friday, most of our guards and servants had the day to themselves.

Yes, dwellers of the underworld have weekends off as well.

I knocked on Alice's door but received no reply. I pushed the door open and ushered Jack inside to find her room empty. I guessed she was still in my father's office feeding him some sort of lies to distract him from my rescue mission. She'd be pleased to find out that it was a complete success. I smirked as my confidence took over.
Jack looked over at me from his place by the door.

"Um... I don't mean to interrupt your party of one, but it seems as though I have some wounds that need some attention." Jack gestured to his face with a grimace.

I quickly shut the door behind myself and scampered into Alice's small bathroom. "Of course! I'm sure Alice has some bandages around here somewhere..." I muttered to myself as I rummaged through the small bathroom cabinet.

In a few moments I had gathered up a few strips of clean linen, a wash cloth, ground up healing herbs, and a small bowl filled with clean warm water. I walked back into the bedroom with the four items and set them down on a wooden desk beside her bed.

"Um... I've never actually dressed a wound before. But it can't be that hard." I gritted my teeth together as I wet the cloth.

I assessed the work that had to be done as I looked over Jack's wounds. I gestured for him to sit on the edge of the bed, and thankfully he conplied without any suggestive remarks.

"I guess I should start with this cut above your brow..." I wrung out the water from the wash cloth an began the gently wipe away the dirt and grime from the wound. Jack winced as I ran the cloth over the open flesh.

"This is going to sting." I warned as I dipped the cloth into the ground herbs.

"Oh really? I wouldn't have gue- ahh!" Jack hissed as the herbal mixture met his sensitive cut.

I smirked as he glared up at me. "Don't sass me. I'm trying to help you, jerk."

Jack crossed his arms in the most childlike manner I had seen. I didn't want to antagonize him too much though, so I continued my work in silence... aside from the occasional hiss from Jack of course.

After I had completely cleaned and dressed all of his wounds I took a step back to admire my work.

"Well. How do you feel?" I asked, looking over his face once more.

"Honestly? Like crap. All the cuts sting like hell. I have an excruciating ache behind my eyes, my lip hasn't stopped pulsing, and I'm pretty sure I broke my ankle. Bit besides that I feel fantastic. Thanks for asking."

I rolled my eyes at the sarcasm dripping from his tone. "I did the best I could you know. You could thank me for saving your sorry ass." I sat down next to him with an irritated huff.

Jack turned to look at me and placed s hand over my own. "You're right. I'm sorry Marshall. Thank you for saving my sorry ass."

My angry facade cracked as I grinned at him. "I'll have Alice properly fix you up when she gets back. She's much more skilled at these types of things than I am."

"You don't say?" A smirk danced over Jack's lips.

It wasn't until just then that I realized his hand was still holding my own. I instantly blushed at the realization and quickly pulled away just as Alice walked through the door.

"Oh thank god you were able to sneak him out. But... Marshall is that what you call cleaning and dressing a wound?"

I threw my hands up in disbelief. "I know it's not the best job, but it's my first time! Give me a break would you?"
Alice ruffled my hair. "Aww it's ok baby. I'll teach you next time."

I slapped her hand away and stood up. "Yeah yeah okay. I'm going to help my father with his work so he won't get suspicious of the silence around here. Take care of him while I'm gone ok?"

Alice and Jack simultaneously smirked at me. "Don't you worry your pretty little head Marsh. I know what I'm doing."

"Marsh? That's your nick name? Aww!" Jack's eyes held a mischievous gleam as he looked over at Alice who giggled in response.

I pointed an accusing finger at his face. "You're not allowed to call me that." I growled and slammed the door behind me.

Stomping along the corridor, my embarrassment skyrocketed. I could still hear their stupid giggles behind me as I made my way towards my father's office.

"Stupid idiots." I mumbled under my breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well guys I haven't written anything in about three months. I can't even begin to properly apologize for being MIA for such a long time. Thank you for your patience.