Chapter 18: Shattered Shackles

Here I am to pick up from where I left y'all hanging with that cliffy c: Haha enjoy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((MARSHALL LEE'S POV))

"Marshall!" I heard someone calling out to me through the darkness.

"Just five more minutes..." I grumbled out, lazily slapping the annoying hand away from me.

"You dont have time for five more minutes! Get up!" The prying hands found their way to the sensitive spot right under my ribs...

I jolted awake with a shout as I scrambled away from the hands that were tickling me to see an all too familiar smiling face.

Alice.

"W-what the hell Alice! You know how much I hate being tickled!." I crossed my arms as I frowned at her in disapproval.

"Oh get over it! You have something more important to get to Marshall. Have you forgotten about your father and Jack?"

My eyes widened as the previous events came rushing back to me. I must have passed out just after my father took Jack away... Where did he take him?

"W-where are they? How long was I out? Is Jack okay?" I fired questions at her.

"Your father locked him in the dungeon underground, he's okay for now. But I can't say that for much longer. He may be immortal, but your father can still cause him pain. You've been our for about three hours, but your father is busy with more pressing matters. Now we need to get him out of there before things get messy. Now come on!"

Alice stood up and came to my side, holding out her hand to help me up.

I gently took her hand and she hoisted me back onto my feet.

"I'm going to make sure your father stays in his office while you get Jack, okay? But I can only distract him for so long. So make it quick."

Alice and I rushed out of my bedroom and we took the steps in sets of two. At the bottom of the spiral staircase I glanced down the hall where my father's office was, and looked back at Alice.

"Don't worry. Just be quick!" Alice quickly embraced me and dashed off down the dark corridor.

With my heart in my throat, I darted off in the opposite direction. Most of the servants were tending to the grounds or preparing dinner, so I wouldn't have to explain where I was going.

I rounded the corner and took a long flight of stairs that descended to the bottom floor. That's where my father stored his soul records.

By records I mean lists upon lists of every person he had collected a soul from, and the destination of their soul... so heaven or hell.

I entered the room where my father kept his lists... but I also knew that there was a secret room beneath this one that only he knew about... and I secretly knew about since I was always sticking my nose where it didn't belong.

I pushed aside a giant black arm chair to find the secret hatch door underneath it.

"You've really got to work on your hiding places old man." I mumbled to myself as Ii lifted the rusty metal trap door.

I crouched down beside the opening and peered into the darkness. "Jack?" I whispered.

I sat in silence for a few moments and a feeling of dread rose up from the pit of my stomach when I received no reply.

I took a deep breath and descended down the creaking ladder into the room below me.

The stone floor was cold and slippery, almost like the air around me. The smell was indescribable, so I held my breath as I felt along the moss covered walls.

"Jack?" I called out again as I neared the back.

I heard some shuffling coming from my left and I snapped my head around, ready to come face to face with some unspeakable beast.

...but what I saw was Jack crouched atop an old dirty mattress.

"Jack!" I shouted and ran to the cell door.

Jack looked up at me and a smile spread across his face. "Well look who's here. My knight in shining armour." He choked out a weak laugh and I found myself smiling with him.

"Don't thank me yet, damsel in distress. I haven't gotten you out just yet." As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I began searching the stone walls for the key my father kept down here.

Jack weakly shrugged his shoulders. "It's the thought that counts, right?"

I rolled my eyes. "I don't have much time to get you out. Do you know where the key is?"

The white haired boy hook his head and I sighed.

"No one said rescue missions were a simple task." He muttered.

But just the I had a brilliant idea.

"Jack do you think you could freeze this lock? Maybe if I could hit it hard enough, it'd break and I could get you out."

Jack rose his brows. "Good thinking Sherlock." He focused his gaze on the lock holding him captive in his cell, and it slowly began to freeze over.

I could tell Jack was already weak from the beating he received from my father, so I knew this took quite a bit of energy to pull off.

I picked up a rock that was almost the same size as my head and bashed the frozen lock with it three times before I managed to shatter the metal shackles.

"Got it!" I grunted , swinging the rusty metal bars open for Jack.

Suddenly Jack threw his arms around me in a weak embrace. I could feel his ragged breaths and how his body shook. What had my father done to him while I was out?

Even though this action flustered me, I gently embraced him back, wrapping my long arms around his shoulders.

"Lets get out of here..." I mumbled.

Jack nodded and we awkwardly let go of each other. I had to let Jack lean on me because he had twisted and bruised an ankle, but we made it out of theat black pit alive.

As I pulled Jack up the last few steps of the ladder I took in his full appearance.

He had a busted swollen lip, dried up blood was smeared on the corner of his mouth, a black eye, a cut near his left eyebrow, tears in his...well my clothing, and he had a layer of dirt clinging to his body.

Ad I took in this sight I knew that I wouldn't let my father get away with disfiguring Jack. But first he had to get cleaned up.

"Come on. I know where I can hide you until we can sneak you out again." I took him by the hand and led him to Alice's room.

I knew she'd help us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woo hoo so I finally updated this and fixed that cliffhanger from before. Hope you enjoyed! Until next time.

~Miki~