Chapter 23

Lorraine's POV

It was annoying working under the current situation. Ever since the incident that happened with that guy who was killed here at the hospital, security have been heightened.

Sure, there was a security system in place already but there wasn't any need to have a whole army. St. Andrew's Presbyterian hospital was the top renowned hospital in the city. The news of what happened had been broadcasted nationwide. There the head of the health sector here have decided to up with security measures.

Whenever you were getting in or out of the hospital, you'd have to sign or have some of security pass. It was crazy and annoying, but I guess it was necessary. Considering the fact that something like that could happen in the hospital, the new implemented security measures were probably the best and safest thing for us as staff, and our patients.

I had just finished my shift at 12AM in the morning and I was extremely exhausted. I had been working since 4pm the evening before and conducted four surgeries. All I wanted to do was to head straight home, took a quick warm shower then retire to bed. I had just finished signing out and saying goodbye to Thom the security outside the parking lot and hopped into my car.

I was probably too exhausted to notice before, but the minute I was on my way home I had a strange feeling. It was as if I was being discreetly followed. I was always quite observant and maybe a bit paranoid so I was always trying to be well aware of my surroundings. I was looking in the rearview mirror, and even though it was not uncommon for people to be traveling in the same direction as me,  I was positive that the black Subaru was tailing me from a little distance. It wasn't close enough to be obvious, but it was there for the past ten minutes.

The neighborhood was not immune to criminals and criminal activities and that made me a bit skeptical. Instead of taking the route to my home, I decided against it. I practically live alone and I wasn't sure I wanted to risk going there.  Marilyn sometimes didn't stay there, and we were both defenseless females. I wasn't about to risk leading some criminal to our home.

I thought about heading straight to the police station, but what would I say? That I thought I was being followed but I wasn't sure? I would probably look really crazy if it turned out that it was just a coincident that the car was going in the same direction as I was. I decided to call Luca instead, especially since I just realized that when I diverted, I was actually heading in the direction of his place.

"Baby?" Luca responded on the third ring. "Is everything alright?"

"Luca, hey. I uhm, I'm not sure. Im on my way from work." I began. "I didn't wake you did I?"

"No, you didn't. What's wrong?" Luca sounded more alert.

"I don't know if I'm being paranoid or something, but while I am on my way from work,  I think I'm being followed. " I told him as I looked into the rearview mirror once again. "I didn't want  to go home and risk being followed there, so I sort of diverted. I wasn't sure if I should call the cops or what but I'm..."

"Are you sure that you're being followed?" Luca asked cautiously.

"I think. I don't really know for sure. I just noticed this black Subaru behind me since I've left the hospital."

"Black Subaru?" Luca sounded curious. "Listen, don't go home. Come to my place instead. "

"That's what I was about to tell you,  that I'm close to your place because I diverted. I'm actually about 5 minutes away. " I told him.

"Look, don't panic or anything alright. come meet you out front. "

Knowing that I was closer to Luca's made me feel a bit better.  Especially looking behind me and not seeing that Subaru again. The world was a crazy and cruel place and I couldn't even feel too bad about being scared once in a while,  especially with everything that was going today.