Chapter 2

When I was a kid, Lorana and I had a dog that our uncle bought us. Well technically Dex was more my dog, it was a birthday gift from our uncle Paul when I celebrated my ninth birthday.
I celebrated my birthday in August while Lorana had hers a few weeks later in September. Our Uncle Paul knew that if he had said that the dog was mine alone, Lorana would feel left out. Therefore, he just said that the dog was a gift for both of us.

We had Dex for over three years until he accidentally got hit by a car one day. The sight of our beloved pet was a devastating one for my sister and me. There was a huge gash on his side when we found him, it was awful.

At the time, I really wished that I could've done something to save him somehow as he laid there all broken and in pain, but I couldn't, and sadly enough Dex died a few minutes later. I was twelve years old at the time and I believe that that was the moment that I decided that I wanted to help save lives someday.

My Dad is a doctor, and he was a role model for me growing up. Hence, I decided to become a doctor as well- a surgeon. Instead of becoming a veterinarian, I became a doctor who help others by treating their illnesses and injuries by cutting and repairing body parts.

Being a doctor was really rewarding. What else could be more rewarding than the feeling of knowing that you've just saved a life?

However, there were times when we couldn't save some lives. It was common for a patient to die while undergoing surgery or even before we had the chance to start the operation. And that was one of the hardest parts of my job. That and having to break the news to the family of the deceased.

I always try to be as unattached as one could be so it wouldn't affect me as badly whenever I lost a patient, but that didn't make it any easier.

I hated those operations where my nurses and I are constantly fearful that we aren't going to be able to save a patient. Those operations where the lines on the heart monitor kept flatlining then coming back up and falling again. It gives that feeling you'd get if you were to walk the edge of 1000 feet skyscraper without any cable to ensure that you're secured from falling.

The operation that was just performed was a perfect example of what the skyscraper situation must be like. My team and I were certain that we were going to lose that little boy almost every five minutes. As we worked on getting out the bullet that had lodged itself almost in his right lung, his little heart kept stopping and then starting again, more times than we would have liked. We were practically holding our breaths throughout the process.

In a scientific term, that kid literally died and came back to life almost five or more times. He was no doubt a fighter and one of the strongest kids I know.

After two hours in that operating theatre, I was relieved when we were able to successfully complete the operation. We did our part, now I guess the rest was up to the kid and the healing process of his body.

"Good job team," I praised the team who helped me with this operation. "Get him to a private recovery room."

After cleaning up, I knew that I had to go back out there to give the news to the family of the boy.
Going back to the waiting room, I was practically attacked by the man who was earlier wielding threats left, right and center.

Here we go.

"My son... where the hell is he?!" He growled which had me cowering a bit.

I honestly felt as if I was the one who had shot the kid instead of the one who just saved his life. I totally understand his reason for being upset or in this mood but practically attacking me like this was a bit scary.

"Luca, please just..." One of the guys that were there with him put a hand on his shoulder trying to get him to settle.

The other one stood close by as if to hold him back in case he decides to pounce on me.

"What is the news?" He asked me.

"I am doctor Sewell and I'm afraid I have got both some good news and bad news." I thread carefully.

"The good news is that we managed to extract the bullet and repair the wound. The bullet missed his right lung by approximately four centimeters. He is extremely lucky as it could have punctured his lung. So far, he is in a stable condition at the moment."

The three men let out an inaudible sigh of relief which actually made me somewhat hesitant to deliver the rest of the news.

"However," I began. "The blunt force trauma of the bullet resulted in two cracked ribs. In addition, because of his excessive blood loss, we had to put him in an induced coma in order to treat him and have a blood transfusion. I think it is safe to say that he is out of the danger zone for now. As to when he will wake up...well that part is just totally up to him."

"Can I see him now?" The boy's father asked.

"Sure. The nurse is getting him settled in the recovery room but he's..."

"Which one?" He demanded.

"Room 173 right down this hall, but sir..." I was cut off and left hanging as he practically sprinted away without giving me a chance to finish.

"Is there anything else important doctor?" The guy who had tried to settle Luca earlier asked as the other guy followed behind Luca.

"Well yes, there is," I said to him. "Usually with a wound of that nature, we have to be constantly monitoring his progress, as it is not uncommon for patients with these types of injuries to develop some infection of a sort which could lead to further complications. It could slow down and interfere with the healing process. It isn't a must happen, but it's best to keep in mind that it is a possibility."

"Is there a way to prevent this from happening?"

"Well, we are going to be administering antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications, and other Immuno supplements but other than that we can't do much but treat the wound. We just have to wait and see how his body reacts to the medications."

"Thank you, doctor. We appreciate everything that you've done to save Nicolo." He said to me. "I'm Marco Valenti, a friend of Luca. He's a bit out of it right now but I'm sure he'll be grateful to you and your staff. With everything, that is going on right now, don't be surprised if he probably suggests that you remain Nicolo's only doctor for now."

"But Mr. Valenti..." I was cut off by Mr. Valenti before I could finish what I was saying.

"It is just for precautions, considering the nature of what happened." Mr. Valenti said to me. "Dr. Sewell, I'm sure that you understand that in light of what happened tonight, we won't trust many people around Nicolo."

"I understand sir, but I assure you that each and every other doctor and nurse we have on-staff is just as capable and extremely qualified enough..."

"Qualification is one thing but right now we need trust as well. I think you are aware that this is a sensitive matter. A child getting shot. You have to admit that it is in our best interest to only have trusted and authorized persons around him." Mr. Valenti said to me. "There are police here and everything ready to bombard us with questions and if we're not adamant and careful, they'll probably want to bombard Nicolo's room as well. We can't afford that right now until the perp responsible is caught. This request is a matter of concern and security for Nicolo. I'm sure Luca will be requesting the same thing once he is calmed down a bit. We would very much prefer those who helped to save his life to be around until we can have Nicolo transported."

"Transported? Mr. Valenti, St. Andrew's Presbyterian hospital is one of the best hospitals in the city." I said to him. "I don't think that there is any other hospital right now that could do a better job of ensuring that Nicolo's full health is restored."

"Of that I'm sure, but with a situation like this, we'll have to transport Nicolo to a place where his security and well-being can be ensured."

"Sir, I can ensure that Nicolo will be safe under our care," I said to him. "Our hospital has a well competent and reliable medical staff as well as an advance security system and personnel."

"I'll take your word for it Doc." Mr. Valenti nodded. "As long as Nicolo is here, I trust that you'll take very good care of him right?"

I have my work cut out for me, don't I?

"Yes Mr. Valenti, Nicolo is in good hands."