Brave New Girl

Whenever I got nervous or to pass the time, I would often give various quotes to help set me straight. Though often enough, it can be an indicator of how nervous I was.

"Peter piker, no placker, shoot Piper picked a pec of pickled- peck-gosh darn it," I said as I kept messing up over the chatter of my teammates.

I tried in vain to remember the whole saying, but that question would have to have been put to rest at the sound of 3 terrifying words.

"You're up Phazer," Prophecy said in a dominant but encouraging tone as a bus filled with thieves and stolen goods approached at a breakneck pace.

My name is Kate Adams, and I am trying to become a Champion in the second year of this world gone mad. Emphasis on the trying as I ran across the various rooftops of Philly with every bound feeling like the stomach flipping drop of a carnival ride against the brisk late January air. Even with the few weeks, it's been since I started, the new suit still felt a little uncomfortable. It was mostly a green costume with gold-trimmed vertical lines on the chest, belt gloves, shoulder pads, and gauntlets that held the sonar that I used in December. The code name was also a little much. I had pretty much let the others give the honor of naming me, provided stuff like Ghost and phantom wasn't chosen (Brought back way too many memories). Sofia and Chelsea were at it the longest until they decided on Phaser, with a z. I thought it made me sound like a 90's StarTrek toy commercial, but it was better than nothing.

Once I managed to gain enough distance between me and the bus, I used reluctantly used my powers and phase through the roof of the building. After our battle with the Crusaders, after I decided to join this life, my powers had to grow from stable to strong. It was more mental than physical, and I was nowhere near as skilled as the others, and I might never be, but I still had to try and help them and this city!

Holding on to the same feeling I had with Marauder, the feeling of just needing to move, I started to phase right through the building! Floor by floor, I plummeted below no problem until I forgot my first lesson: situational awareness. Which unfortunately led to me being pulled by my hair and falling face-first to the first floor in fear of seeing China. Thanks to super strength, though, as I still managed to run past the many working men and women and gallop into the street. And with the bus seconds away, I guarded my body and phased through.

And with that moment, my second lesson managed to be half upheld: timing while I was able to make it to the bus in one piece while unfortunately crashing right through the back of the bus! With fear bursting through, I instinctively embedded my fingers straight into the bus and pulled myself back in to greet my enemies.

"Stop, the bus, you're all under arrest!" I say with bluffed confidence.

And as the six-armed masked men decided to honor my request, by opening fire. Even though my body was tougher, I didn't want to test if it was bulletproof, so once again, I phased through it all while still keeping myself from sinking and used my third lesson: Restraint. As I walked through the gunfire, I quickly started to unphased one of my hands to grab one of the rifles and use it as a bat to knock some of the men out. But I guess I had followed the third lesson too hard as a fast swerve that, with my intervention, made me get to split my body between a building and the inside of the bus. As panic started to seep in, but for once, I quickly pulled myself in just enough to punch someone who was about to take a shot. And as the man crashed into the window, the last remaining one finally took his shot. Three gunshots rang out the runaway bus, and I didn't have enough time to phase through. I spent a few seconds wondering if shock took place, but it felt like mosquito bites, to be honest.