Lament of a Beast

Kitty Hawk, North Carolina December 17, 1903, B.G. That was the time when the Wright brothers made the first airplane take flight. Before that, Isaac newton acknowledged the concept of the forces that held us to the ground. And even before that hundreds of years later, the Renaissance man himself Leonardo da Vinci made sketches of a flying machine to soar above the clouds. To make a long history lesson, short human beings have always been interested in the freedom of flight. The sheer ability to fly unhindered by any machinery, to dash across the midnight sky and touch the clouds with your own hands like they were as palpable as any food. To dive bomb with the feeling of coursing wind on your skin. To soar and ascend like Daedalus free from the world. It indeed is the only paradiso compared to the inferino my life is now.

Hello, my name is David Wiseman, and I am now a monster living in a world gone mad before I would describe myself as average looking. Despite what you may believe, not every Italian is a top model. Shiny black hair a little facial hair, not too athletic or tall. The people in my high school would always describe me as a man who was "annoyingly nice." So I guess being a doctor, I felt like a natural step. It was around halfway through my second year I met "him." I know it's a massive, horrible cliche, but it was loved at first sight. He was named Bruce, a cop, and we fell in love, hard and fast. I'll spare you the yaoi fanfic and say that we got married for about a couple of years before we discovered that I contracted Melanoma. Anyone else finds it ironic that the doctor couldn't figure out what? I was fighting cancer for about two years before Genesis. And it was a long hard fight. It was painful, and at times I was so very, very scared that I might die.

I think the only reason I still fought on was due to Bruce. I didn't know what had exactly happened during Genesis. I only remember bits and pieces from my last procedure. I remember slipping away into the abyss, and I felt nothing. Like I didn't even exist. What happened next still made me wince. A surge of incredible agonizing pain takes over my body. My muscles exploded from my body; my bones cracked and grew denser. My already atrocious skin hardened and cemented. Parts of my back peeled to form new limbs. Every cell in my body had taken on an existence, unlike any other. With my transformation subsided, I laid on the ground gasping in pain. Slowly I regained control and take in my new form.

Once I regain my surroundings, I saw that Bruce was staring at me with his face full of fear.

Weeks later, did I realize what he must have seen. A naked 8 ft tall dragon man with wings and a tail. He stood back in petrifying fear and disgust. As he ran away, tears welled, in my eyes, I knew that my life as a man was over. I crashed out the window with utter chaos in the streets. Helixes were losing control of their powers as cars engulfed in flames, buildings crumbled, and dead bodies filled the streets. New senses overtake me as in detail all too clear I knew that the entire world was ending or, at the very least, the one I knew. These new wings twitched with almost electric power, and in minutes I took flight. The ground beneath me quaked as I flapped across the city of Turin. And as the city was set ablaze, I howled in the moonlight knowing that fate was a truly dealt me a cruel hand.

I honestly do think that the thing I've missed most of all was my friends and families. It reminded me of how goddamn stupid I was for taking those days for granted. And I guess the thing I missed most about Bruce wasn't his bad jokes or his somehow too bright teeth. It was his warmth. That connection you feel through someone you love. My day to day mostly consisted of rummaging around trying not to get noticed. I'd say that over eight mesi, I had done pretty well for myself. I got a loincloth to hide my "other" dragon and even found an excellent dumpster and sewer to hang out. All the while, I discovered the new features of my body almost accidentally. Any sane man would have left the city, but I just couldn't not with so much of my old life to hold on to. If I'm lucky, I will catch a glimpse of my past life through my once a week flights.