A New Dusk Part 3

Um, hello, I know it's been quite a while, but my name is Kate Adams, and I'm trying to be an ordinary girl in a world gone mad. Ever since I got my second chance of life, I haven't wasted even a second of it. Simple things like waking up in a bed, eating pop tarts, and even touching the stuff in my dorm room had become an underappreciated joy unique to me. And while restarting my life was a big challenge, I realized that the Champions were more than my saviors, but also my friends as they helped at every step.

Maria and Sofia were some of the best friends I ever had. Phil, who has taught me to defend myself without ever having to use my powers and Chelsea, made sure that, at the very least, I would never turn into nothingness once again. And I don't even know where to begin with all the stuff Derek has done for me. And while David and Ivan are still very much new to me, I definitely would like to be their friends. With all the craziness caused by this whole Vacuum situation, I've been mostly in the dark of the whole thing. All I've done was mindlessly study and listen to some ASMR. As long as I kept myself low to the ground, I knew I could handle everything. Too bad around nightfall, I got a text that would change my life forever.

"Hey, is it possible we could visit the dorm, real quick? This is a sensitive matter," said an urging Sofia.

A part of me was slightly worried. Nevertheless, I accepted the offer, and soon enough, I greeted both Phil and Sofia in my usual manner, but I soon realized that this was no casual visit. Sofia and Phil gave off a grave aura of regret as they finally explained their plight.

"We need your help with a certain situation, we wouldn't have come to you, but desperate times call for desperate measures and the like."

"How dire are we talking about here?"

Sofia once again shrunk into regret as finally, Phil decided to take control with a pained expression.

"The past couple of weeks have been an absolute nightmare for us. For every shooting, we stopped, there were always ten other crimes right around the corner. We were at our limits by the end of the first week, but we still kept going. Yesterday Chelsea sent Derek, David, Ivan, and Maria to 3 dangerous locations; the problem is that right after that, she fell asleep from exhaustion. Next time she woke up all we heard was a couple of messages and a couple of not so great sounds, That was almost a day ago and only now has she been searching every nook and cranny of this city to find them. But there is a slight problem; even if we do find them, we don't have the manpower nor the resources to rescue them if they're in enemy hands. Which means Kate, your our only hope."

The full weight of Phil's plea left my body reviling in response. A mix of heated emotions stewed inside my head, but in the end, I steeled myself enough to make my decision.

"C'mon Phil, that's crazy; I would love to help, but I'm can't be like you guys; I'm just a normal woman nothing more nothing less."

Phil's face grew even heavier as he gave a response of his own.

"In case you haven't noticed this, Kate, "normal" hasn't been a thing for almost a year now. And as much as I hate to admit it, as much as I wish that we could go back to the days of old, that is our reality now, simple as that. You're the only Helix that knows what we do, Kate, and we've done the training and tests; you're the strongest person in this room whether you realize it or not. I know it's scary, and I know it's hard, but when you thought that you were alone in this world, we were there, and I'm asking just for once someone would do the same. "

As Phil finished with an emotionally and physically drained, I weighed a speech that was both manipulative and desperate in a body, not my own. After I came back from nothingness, I quickly discovered that my body had gone through some marvelous changes. I've been wearing the braces almost everywhere I go, still afraid that I would wake up a ghost. My 5,02 had been added on by 7 inches, my scrawny arms had bulked up, and stranger still was this ... feeling. I don't think I'll ever be able to explain it right, but whenever it got quiet, all I could hear was a loud hum inside me, a constant reminder of the phantom I once was. And just like that month of denial came crashing down as I took a step back to my bed in collecting my thoughts with my rebuttal.