A New Dusk Part 1

My name is Yamato Lee, and I think I'm going to hell in a world gone mad. Though considering my mile-long wrap sheet, I don't blame you if you have no sympathy for me, especially the people of Philly. A couple of months back, I was hired to kill Mayor Greene for five figures by some pretty high up figures in the underworld. Usually, I wouldn't have gone for such a risky endeavor, but with my large win streak throughout Genesis, I was feeling confident. However, with my overestimation, my powers lead to the underestimation of my enemies. Angry and determined over my failure, I was forced to double-back and double-tap lest my iron-clad reputation is tarnished. And the rest, as they say, was history.

Lucky for me, I at least had enough connections at my disposal to cast a sentence bargain that would allow me to escape death row and a life sentence. Combine that with good behavior, and I was hoping to get out in 30 years. Emphasis on the hoping part as with my bargain going out, I had unofficially been blacklisted in the underworld, which made my prison life less than stellar. A week didn't go without someone trying to take my life, and with every encounter, I was forced into solitary confinement. I also wasn't as strong as my prime due to the lack of sunlight. And as I laid in my prison with darkness all around nostalgia replaced depression.

It reminded me of my father, a veteran who served in the tail end of the Sino-Vietnamese conflict. A conflict that instilled in him a need to make sure that I was "prepared" for any situation. He would lock me in a dark cellar, punch me until I vomited blood, drowned me until my vision started to grow hazy. My mom, in fear of the man she once loved, left me alone to deal with his cruelty. Too bad, dear old dad realized far too late that he did indeed created the perfect soldier he always wanted as I heartlessly watched his life fade away. I tried going back to my mother, but when she discovered what had happened instead of accepting me back, she again turned away in fear like she always did. And with that final rejection, I decided that if the ones that were supposed to love me the most couldn't, then why should I even care about anyone else's life?

I managed to survive on my own for a while, going from place to place, and when I finally indoctrinated myself as a mercenary, I already knew what my codename would be. I always thought that the two types of people in the world were those who took crap from the world or the people that made moves that effected earth itself, and if there was any role that performed the latter the best, it was undoubtedly the marauder.

When Genesis came, I took the opportunity that my powers bestowed me and used them to perform my phantom assassinations, which lead me to the position I am in now: in a convoy that was heading to what I described before would be hell on earth and that is truly saying something. With the tension of helixes and humans with many of them started asking the hard questions: how can we possibly imprison helixes that go outside the law? How can we possibly know how to build helix countermeasures without fresh subjects? I've mostly heard it from conspiracy theorists and certain bribes, but there is a place that unfortunately tries to answer said questions. They call it the Neo Gulag, and if I were to be imprisoned there where my new daily life will consist of being brutally experimented.

Deciding that I would rather die than be a prisoner, my mind came up with scenario after scenario, but they all ended in resounding failure. So with my body straitjacketed and drugged beyond belief, I tried to focus all of my remaining focus into one last fight. Too bad that concentration was completely broken up with a sudden crash that swerves us out of control. Along the way, I accidentally bump my head against the wall and quickly fall into slumber.

Next time I wake up, I groggily took notice of my surroundings. In a couple of minutes, I noticed that I was in an average room with me on a bed and a fresh change of clothes on a nearby desk. Curiosity claimed my still hurting brain, but soon a bizarre camera answers them.