𝗌 𝗂 𝗑 𝗍 𝖾 𝖾 𝗇

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: STOP USING HOMOPHOBIC SLURS

Some time had passed and it was now August. Ginny gave up on her friends making up and forgiving each other. She couldn't even mention Bill around her brother without him muttering about the fact that the Denbrough boy had hit her. The girl felt torn, trying to make all her friends she still talked to happy while trying to find time to relax. She even had a few more run-ins with Victor which she surprisingly enjoyed, not that she would even tell anybody about that.

One day Ginny found herself in Mr. Keene's Pharmacy. Richie had offered to go with her but she turned him down knowing that he would hate standing there while she ponded what to buy. So instead the boy went down to the arcade for the first time since the incident with Henry Bowers.

Ginny stood in one of the aisles staring at the products in front of her with her sweatshirt zipped up despite the heat. She knew it would be much easier if she had her mother there to help her but not every girl was lucky enough to have that experience. So instead Ginny stood by herself, examining the different types of waxing strips the pharmacy had to offer.

She thought about getting the box that said to be gentle. Or maybe she should go for the quote unquote painless option. She reminded herself that there's always next time so she could try one now and try another a different time. The girl picked up the gentle waxing strips, unsure if she truly trusted the "painless" option.

As she walked up to the cash register, she spotted Eddie on the customer side and Gretta behind the counter. The Keene girl had a sharpie in her hand and was writing something on Eddie's otherwise bare cast. Ginny could only see the last two letters but nonetheless knew that it would be something rude and hurtful. Walking to get a closer look, Ginny could very clearly see the word "loser" which made her defensive.

"So original Gretta. Really you deserve an award," Ginny deadpanned, her tone sarcastic.

The other girl looked up at her with a glare, popping her bubblegum as if it were supposed to intimidate the Tozier girl. Ginny rolled her eyes, taking notice of the look of surprise on Eddie's face when she saw her behind him.

"Oh it's the faggot's idiot sister," she sneered as she gave Ginny a disgusted look.

Eddie's face scrunched up in confusion. He hadn't been out much lately which caused him to be behind on the rumors surrounding his friend. Ginny had never mentioned anything about it to the boy, knowing Richie hated anyone talking about it, not that he could stop anyone.

"Aww Richie isn't in love with you so he must be gay. His sexuality isn't your business so stop using homophobic slurs and realize that who someone likes doesn't affect you," Ginny started with a fake pout before her face turned into a glare.

Before Gretta could respond to the other girl, her father returned with Eddie's prescription in hand. He spotted Ginny, giving her a grin that made her extremely uncomfortable.

"Here's your prescription Eddie. Hello Ginny. Is this all for you today?" The store owner asked as he set down Eddie's bag.

"Yes."

"Don't worry about it. It's on the house today," Mr. Keene smiled at Ginny.

The young girl gave an uneasy smile back before quickly grabbing Eddie's non-injured wrist and pulling him out of the pharmacy. As she passed the pens at the end of the aisle they were walking down, she made sure to grab a red sharpie and stick it in her back pocket.

"That man never fails to give me the creeps," Ginny shuddered as she let go of Eddie's wrist.

Eddie agreed as he tried to keep up with the girl's quick pace. As they walked, Ginny unzipped her sweatshirt and pushed up the sleeves to help cool her down. She looked over at Eddie who was staring at the word on his cast as if it were a death threat.

The girl stopped in her spot causing the boy to stop as well. Eddie gave her a look of confusion until Ginny gently grabbed his casted arm. She pulled the red marker out of her back pocket with a smile before uncapping it with her teeth. With the cap between her teeth, Ginny began to write on the boy's cast. When she finished she let go of the boy's arm and he stared at it.

"Lover?" He asks as he looks at the writing. 

Ginny smiled as she ruffled the boy's hair.

"Yeah, you're not a loser. You have too big of a heart."

A few moments later the two parted ways with them each heading to their respective homes. Ginny took her time on her walk, enjoying some of her last free time before school started in September. She wasn't all too shocked when she ran into Victor who seemed to be in a rush.

"Sorry Tozier."

"It's fine. I'd rather it be you than Henry," the girl gave a tight lipped smile.

"I have to hurry over to Henry's but I'll catch you some time," Victor gave the girl a genuine smile before rushing away.

Ginny sighed as she swiftly made the rest of her trip home in silence. As soon as she was through the front door, she ripped off her sweatshirt and threw it onto the back of the couch. There wasn't much she felt like doing on this particular day so she simply turned on the television and flipped through different channels.

She must have fallen asleep because next thing she knew, her front door slamming open. Ginny woke up in a fright and fell to the ground. She looked up quickly to see Richie and Bill with watching looks of worry.

"IT's got Bev!"

"Holy shit. Okay, Bill you call Ben. Richie you call Eds and I'll call Stan and Mike," Ginny was quick to put the three to work.

First she called Stan's house where his mother picked up the phone. She informed the girl that Stan was actually on his way to her house and asked for him to call her when he arrived. Once she got off the phone with Mrs. Uris, Ginny called Mike and practically yelled at him about the situation. Once she met Bill and Richie in the living room, Ginny informed them that they had to wait for Stan to arrive and then they could leave.