Chapter Nine ; velvet walls

Chapter Nine ; Velvet walls

I sat alone in a dimly lit room with candles flickering in the cold winter's breeze bleeding through the window I left slightly jarred.

I didn't go home.

My hands were basically tied with my own words: I got myself into this mess, I didn't have a leg to stand on.

The fresh air blow out the flame that burnt vigorously in my stomach with anger.

How could Thomas Shelby look so much like a gentleman, his words covered in sweet honey, pulling you into his web before his venom kills you slowly? You can never get away from such a man.

I refused to speak to Thomas downstairs, apart from demanding to know where my room for the night was.

Just to lock myself away in it with a hot bath and a bottle of wine.

The room was glamorous. It resembled the burgundy walls of Tommy's office; however, the wallpaper almost looked like expensive velvet.

A copper tub was placed in the middle of the room by the maid—something I felt terribly uncomfortable asking for. The warm water embraced my body as I hugged my legs to my chest and the delightful scent of lavender filled my airways.

What was it for today? I thought to myself. a whirlwind of emotions, from being treated like an heiress to being nothing more than a pawn in Shelby's game of chest again.

I began to wonder if Thomas truly did save me from a life I would have been miserable in.Even though this was not his true intention,

We were nothing but children, myself and John. We didn't know our true selves, let alone each other. To marry one another at such a darling age could have been and would have been a recipe for tragedy! I wouldn't have been a nurse, I would have stayed put in Small Heath, perhaps had a baby. I've always wanted more from life than to just be a mother.

Now, I know myself and I have seen John for who he has grown up to be; a hard-faced man who doesn't have the morals to be loyal to his current wife. Violence is his only answer and listening is out of the question. I wouldn't doubt for a moment that he wouldn't be the same if he was married to me...

As the light around me flickered and nothing but the soft sound of water moved when I adjusted my body, a light knock tapped on the door.

"Poppy?" The voice of none other than Thomas himself broke the sweet silence.

I did not reply. Even though I had come to terms with the empty gaps in my story of myself and John's, I still didn't want to speak to that beast of a man tonight.

Then the door knob rattled, "Poppy?"

An almost worried-sounding Thomas shouted through the oak door.

I sighed loudly, pushing myself out of my peaceful bath, "Mr. Shelby, I am not in work hours, so I shall not speak to you."

The water droplets cascaded down my naked skin as I ringed out the little bit of water the ends of my hair soaked up, stepping on to the floor.

"I need a word with you, Poppy." His low tone hummed, demanding yet calm.

I slipped on my brand new silk night dress—never had I felt something so soft or worn something utterly beautiful to sleep in. Another sigh escaped my pink lips, "Mr. Shelby, I-"

"Stop with this Mr. Shelby bullshit, Poppy, just let me in."

I stomped over to the door, "Put an extra 2 pounds on my next pay check and I'll let you in."

"You are a true modern-day woman."

With those words as enough confirmation of payment, I twisted the brass key, revealing the dark-haired man still suited and booted.

My mind wandered if this man ever relaxed; in his own home, he didn't look comfortable, with his polished shoes still on. However, his waistcoat was unbuttoned and his head was hat less.

Those icy eyes washed over my new silk bedroom garments, with no fear of me noticing as he was drunk on my simple appearance.

"How can I help you, Mr. Shelby?" My eyes held his gaze. I could see the tiredness setting in behind them.

"We need to talk about tomorra." He rubbed his rough hand over his face.

Without words, I turned on my heels and walked back into the candlelit room, "Why would you do that, Tommy?"

"Look, I know it's all very upsetting. But, I did it for his own good and yours. Now, if you want me to apologise, I will. It wouldn't change anything. The past is the past. However, I need to tell you a few important pieces of information about what's happening over the next few days."

My back faced him as his emotionless words rolled off his tongue matter of factly, only wanting me to shut up and sit down like an obedient dog.

I started to laugh.

Laughing from the belly.

My dainty fingers were combing through the sides of my curly hair, shaking my head as I simply laughed at the man.

"Why are you laughing, Poppy?" He rolled his eyes at me, I knew he did without looking over my shoulder.

"You are right, you are fuckin' right! As always, Thomas Shelby! " I whipped the tears of laughter from my eyes- he finally made me snap. This is him. This is what Thomas Shelby does.

"You, Thomas, need someone to love you. I truly love you, to make you feel at home for the first time in your life. To break those tremendously high walls you have built around that cold heart, if there is still one beating in there. " Stepping close to Tommy, I place my hand on his chest, my fingers stretching out, hoping to feel a heartbeat.

I lost myself for a second.

I stared at my hand and I could feel his icy gaze on me. "...You break people for fun, but I can feel your pain, I can see it in your eyes." My mouth got carried away with itself. It must have been the wine I had been drinking.

Then, the fresh air whirled through the open window, hit me like a punch to the face. He is my boss and he is here for business.

My hand dropped to my side and I breathed in sharply, "What did you want to tell me?"

Tommy cleared his throat as the space between us grew wider.

"We are going to buy a horse."

"A horse?" My eyebrows knotted together, "I thought you were having a meeting."

"Yes, We were did, but that has changed."

——

I haven't written in a very long time! I'm a bit rusty haha I thought I'd start writing again after seeing all the kind words I've been left by all you lovely people. I'll try to keep it up! Thank you for reading my story.

- Alice x