Chapter Seven ; not everything that glistens, is gold.

Chapter Seven ; 
Not everything that glistens, is gold.

"You look an absolute picture Lady Millar! Beautiful! Just beautiful." Mrs Chamberlain, the emerald women sung to the heavens, piling the boxes and bags of garments that I had purchased into the black Bentley which Thomas had ordered.

I left the shop feeling like a pheonix reborn out of its ashes; my clothes didn't smell damp, but like lavender and french perfumes and a glistening diamond necklace linked around my neck. Not to mention, like ever lady that left the Ivory, I felt untouchable. Like a flapper girl you see in the daily papers or magazines.

"You should consider cutting your hair short, M'lady, looks ever so glamorous." A shop girl, not much younger than myself, smiled at me holding a package of my old clothes wrapped in brown paper.

The girls had pinned my blonde curls into a faux bob, the style everyone in the cities were wearing. I didn't want to commit to lobbing off my hair but seeing it short, I didn't hate it.

"I might just do so, thank you so much for your help. Here," I opened up my purse, digging out the last few pounds left over from my spree and exchanged it for the brown parcel, "Treat yourself."

I smiled gently, as she beamed back, "Thank you M'lady."

Suddenly, I had to remind myself I was nothing more than she was. I simply worked for a fancy, big named company and I was just another cog in the machine. Probably being used unknowingly as we speak, making the wheels turn even with my naive eyes shut.

I stepped into the car, surrounded by all the expensive things. And as the car drives off, I admired the gifts, nothing more but gifts, they weren't mine after all... I felt the soft fabric between my fingertips, the lace trimmings and the pearls. Each item held it's own beauty and elegance in its own right, just as a women does; Every one so different but each has the radiance of magnificent.

The persona of Lady Millar dissolved like a tablet in water, every mile closer to the Shelby mansion we got. My state of ecstasy turning into nervousness,the clothes on my body became foreign and stepping out in front of Tommy, dressed like a city girl made me uncomfortable.

The lush green fields replaced the smoggy streets as we left the thick of Birmingham to the outskirts where all the rich people lived, in their mansions with their servants. I'd never imagined being around these parts nor did I ever entertain the idea of a Shelby living in one! Just as we rolled over a hill, a house with two large wings attached, built with red bricks and vines climbing the sides of the walls.

And there he was, Thomas Shelby, in the tailored suit and peaked cap with his arms crossed over his chest.

"God blimey..." I gushed over the vast landscape out the Bentley window, "I think I might have died at some point today."

The driver laughed at me, "You still have the rest of the evening, Miss."

"They are the Shelby's after all." I sighed as the car came to a gentle stop and up swaggered Thomas.

With a deep breath, my hands frantically flattened my new beautiful dress and fixed my hair before dropping my gaze as the driver popped open the door for me.

"Poppy." The deep honey tones of Tommy's brumey voice snapped my eyes to his.

He held out his hand for me to take - that I did, "Thomas." My smile couldn't be contained as my cheeks began to glow rogue. The simple way Mr Shelby was looking at me was indescribable; firstly, I thought it was in aura of my new found class and beauty then I saw pound signs in Shelby's glass eyes.

"So?" I blushed as Thomas took a step back to admire the girl in front of him dripping in his money.

The sound of grovel under Tommy's shoes filled the short moment of silence between us, "We always said you looked like a Posh London bird."

Tommy nodded, almost impressed with me, "Good work."

"Feels... strange. Seeing Shelby's in suits and living in castles and me! A simple girl, a Millar, with diamonds around me neck, you couldn't dream of this stuff." I giggled looking down at the ground.

"This is a strange world Poppy." He places he's hand on the small of my back, automatically making my spine straighten at the touch, "You look nice in it."

"Was that a compliment Thomas?" I smirked ignoring the odd feel that bubbles in my stomach.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves." He smiles under his peaky hat, glance at my blushed face.

He began walking us towards the large front doors of the house whilst a older lady dressed in a maids uniform scurried out to help the driver with the copious amount of boxes and bag I had accumulated. My head couldn't quite wrap itself around the situation. Maids, drivers, bookies, henchman and cooks, all worked for Tommy, myself included. It was a bizarre thought, I tried not to even ponder on the idea of how much money he sat on. The number would make me sick, let alone how he might of got hold of some of it.

"Why am I here Tommy?" The question unknowingly fell out of my mouth after having it eating up my mind all day, "All this... niceness?"

We stopped just before entering the devils palace, when Tommy turned to me with a glint in his cold eyes, "Can a man not just be nice? With no agenda."

Another chuckle escaped my plump lips, "Of course a man can but you are no man are you, Thomas, let's not lie to ourselves."

"What am I then?" He asked leaning a hand on the closed door, hanging his dominant frame over my small one. Half expecting me to insult him, call him some form of evil.

"My boss." I grinned cheekily, "Strictly Business wasn't it Mr Shelby?"

Thomas stares at me for a moment; you could see the wheels turning in his mind. Before he laughed to himself, pushing the door open for me, shaking his head, "You are quite the women Poppy."

"I aim to please." I spoke plainly, stepping past Tom into the house.

The lobby was tiled with marble floors and a giant twisting staircase on one side with a tremendous chandelier hanging from the tall ceilings. The first thing on my mind was 'how on earth do you clean that?'.

There was no denying the place was beautiful.

"You still haven't answered my question Thomas?" I pestered again. Not allowing him to distract me with his fine home.

He let out a huff of air, throwing his head backwards in the process, taking off the crown and placing it on a side table which sat near the front door, "Because you are going to be bait."

————

Sorry it's taking so long for this short chapter but writers block is never fun aha!
Hope you enjoyed and thank you again for the support!

Next chapter coming soon.

- Aly x