Chapter five; coffee and pistols for two

Chapter Four;
Coffee and pistols for two.

It had been a few months since my first official day working for Thomas Shelby at the one and only Shelby Company Limited. I hadn't had much time to get caught up on the people and troubles that occur in small heath, Tommy has for sure kept me extremely busy.

Not sure why I believed I was going to be on the more glamorous side of the business, being a secretary and all. Perhaps it's because I never had an office job before but I was surely very wrong.

Every morning, I'd get up at the crack of dawn and ready for six o'clock; putting on my beige dress with matching stocking and brushing out my pin curls into a delicate blonde wave and applying a little touch of makeup.

Before going out the door, I couldn't forget to put out the breakfast for the Reggie and Victor, whatever they wake up. I'm not quite sure how the two of them survived without me around. I'm not even certain they know how to make a sandwich. Although this morning, I took a little extra time to put together some lunch for Mr. Shelby. I began to notice that he hardly eaten a damn thing these days, the more papers that built up the less he ate. So, I thought if the food was there he might eat it. I wasn't sure if it was out of my place to do such a thing however, I couldn't bare to watch him live off cigarette's and whiskey.

About 7, basket on my arm, I would arrive at the bookies to get any papers or pay slips from Polly, usually on a Friday like today. I'd avoid coming any later, otherwise I would be confronted by John's new wife, Esme. That was a really handy part of the job was that I hardly ever crossed paths with John, he was too busy being Tommy's henchmen to come into the office. Arthur did on occasion for all things business, other than that we didn't have very many visitors. For some reason, I thought we would have visitors of all kinds of people, probably more gangsters than anything else. However, I was very prepared to make coffee and teas for dangerous men. Well, I guess I do everyday with Thomas.

As swiftly as possible, I'd walk to Shelby Company Limited, to be drowned by mounts of filing ready upon my desk which could be found sat right outside the frosted double doors of Tommy's office.

I gently knocked, "Mr Shelby?" Nothing but silence to reply.

I carefully slinked into the room. More than not, Thomas was in before me, usually in the chair in the corner or with his head in the books. The man was obsessed! Unhealthily obsessed... All he wanted was more. More and more and more money, fame, fear and glory.

The room was coated in forest green wall paper and dark burgundy curtains that draped over that large window which looked over Small Heath. I always thought it was almost like a King watching over his kingdom from his throne room, however, the 'King' was usually hungover so the curtains stayed shut. His large mahogany desk sat in the middle of the office, decorated with crystal glasses and decanters half filled, not to forget the always full ashtray.

Taking the rare opportunity to clean Tommy's office without his eagle eyes watching me, I rolled up my sleeve and placing my basket on the chair in the corner of the room and started on my work. First, was to throw the drapes open, flooding the dark room with morning rays; then to push open the window, removing the pub like smell from the air; next was the glasses and whiskey that I collected together, putting them in there rightful place on the booze trolly; finally dumping out the cigarette butt so it didn't become a ashy mess, I didn't particularly want the building going up in flames because of Tom's never ending habit.