Downfall

Yoongi

Walking into my father's chambers, knowing what was to become of him, was the hardest thing I've had to do, in my 24 years of living.

My father looked up, pale and sweating from his bed, "Ah, my son."

My voice trembled a bit as I spoke, "Father. Please don't leave me alone."

"I must." he wheezed, and I could hear the tension in his throat from talking." You don't have to be alone. Take a partner." he breathed in, keeping his steely eyes on me. "The Princess Jisoo. What if I demanded you to marry her?"

"I love and respect you, but I would not." my father didn't look surprised at my words. " I believe that what we need within us. We are strong and need to open mind, courage and kindness to see it."

A small smile teetered on the end of my sentence, the familiar words from my heart still ringing loudly within me.

My father grinned, "You've become your own person. Good. And maybe, in the little time left to me, I can become the father you've always deserved."

I blinked and immediately tried to reassure him that he's been nothing short of the best but-

"You must not marry for advantage. You must marry for love. Find that girl. Find her. The one they're all talking about."

I held my breath as he talked. 

"The one who loves you for who you are, not what you can provide."  My father placed his hand on mine comfortingly.

"Thank you, Father."

His breathing was starting to slow, and my heart beginning to throb. "Thank you, Yoonie. I love you, son."

"I love you too."

'

It was a few weeks of mourning, and when the time for grieving was over, a new proclamation was made.

(Y/n) was in the market purchasing groceries she would need for the week when she heard it.

"Hear ye! Hear ye! Heeeeeeeear ye!" The announcer cleared his throat roughly. "Know that our young king hereby declares his love-" he pauses for the over dramatic gasps in the crowd. "For the mysterious princess who wore glass slippers to the ball. And requests that she present herself at the palace, whereupon," he took another deep breath and (Y/n) felt pity for him. "If she be willing, he will forthwith marry her with all due ceremony."

The news cause (Y/n)'s cheeks to flush a bright red, standing frozen as everyone else around her gossiped in excitement.

'He loves me?'

Her heart accelerated in pure elevation at the news, and she hurriedly made her way home. Her hands were clasped on the locket around her neck. Having never took it off since the night of the ball, it was small and was easily hidden underneath her dress; causing no suspicion.

'He loves me!!'

Her race up the stairs to the attic caused her chest to heave, but she didn't care. The only thing on her mind was a little dip on the floor boards, where she hid her most treasured items. It's where the slipper lay tucked in a small shoe box, and when she lifted the board, she would see it.

But she didn't.

The shoe box was empty except for a few letters and trinkets, confusion filled her chest as she didn't recall moving it anywhere.

"Are you looking for this?" the warm voice made her blood run cold as she slowly turned to see a smirking Seokjin, sitting in a chair across the room. In his hand, was the clear, glittery slipper she was looking for.