Chapter 1 - Lucas

Start from the beginning

"Fine," I finally murmur. She doesn't look convinced so I walk up to her and lean down to kiss her forehead, hugging her to me. I may be a foot taller than her but as she hugs me back I close my eyes tightly because Mom has this way about making you feel safe. Damn if I don't feel a deep twist in my chest.

"I'm going to miss you so much, honey," She squeezes my torso tight. "Don't be a stranger, okay? And work hard. This is your last year and I want you to do well."

"Promise," I stroke her hair with a knot in my throat. "I love you."

"I love you more," She tips her head back and I turn my cheek for her so she can give me a kiss. She ruffles my hair like she used to do when I was a kid. "Be good."

"I'll try," I wink at her and she laughs, shaking her head. This time my smile is genuine. Mom has the best laugh. It's always loud but somehow soft at the same time and I love when I'm the one responsible for it.

"I mean it, Luc," She points a stern finger at me. "Good grades and no fights. You need to work on your temper."

I nod. That's the understatement of the century and I doubt I'm about to accomplish that shit anytime soon. That's why I wisely stay quiet instead of promising her something I know I won't live up to.

"Okay. Call soon, alright?" She kisses my cheek again and drops her voice to a whisper. "And please, try to make up with your father. He might act pig-headed about it but he's hurting too, baby. You need each other, okay? For me?"

And here Dad and I thought we were being slick. But this is just another thing I can't promise so I nod again, pressing my lips together. Mom's eyes are sad and I hate that I put that there but there's only so much I can do. She gives me one last hug and goes back inside the car. I look over my shoulder at Dad who's leaning against the car and looking around, lost in thought. A few kids try to approach him for an autograph but he shakes his head and waves them off. He probably wants to leave this place already. Everyone on campus has their phones out and are filming him and Dad hates having his privacy invaded.

I grab my suitcase and head for the residence building, passing Dad. He grabs my arm before I can walk away and takes a deep breath, trying one last time. "I wish things were different, son."

My jaw pulses. I can't help my anger. It's irrational but it needs to go somewhere and unfortunately, it seems to be at Dad. I yank away from his hold and look away. "Yeah, because that's going to fix this."

"Lucas—"

"Leave," My tone is bored and detached and this time he lets me walk away. There's a flash of regret that starts to build in my chest and I have the urge to turn around and apologize but my pride wins again. Fuck that. It won't change anything anyways.

I'm royally pissed off by the time I get to my dorm but what's new? Some people on my floor attempt to greet me but my scowl sends them scampering away. Nosy fuckers. Where on my face does it look like I give a fuck right now? I briefly notice a new girl moving in the room across from mine and she freezes above her box, mouth falling open when she looks at me. Hard to say if it's because she recognizes me or she thinks I'm fuck hot but either way I don't care. I walk into my dorm and find Zack already lounging on the couch and watching something on the TV.

"Hey," He sits up and levels me with a serious stare. "How's it going, man?"

"Don't give me that," I let my suitcase fall to the floor and stalk past him. "I'm sick of pity."

"I was just asking, asshole!" He calls after me as I slam my bedroom door shut. For the first time all day I crack a smile. That's more like it. I don't like being tip-toed around and lately there's been more of that than I can stomach.