Seven: Are You Assuming That I Don't Know My Makeup Supplies?

Start from the beginning

Reiley stared at Alyxia with a strange look on her face. ".....So you do have your moments."

Alyxia did not fully understand what Reiley meant by that, but continued anyway. "With the right supplies and clothes, I could try to make us virtually unrecognisable. If there's one thing that I am good at, it's makeup." She gave an eager grin to Reiley, almost pleading with the other girl.

Farron answered when Reiley did not reply. "That doesn't sound too bad. Just tell us what you need and we'll get it."

"But that's the thing," Alyxia whined. "I'd only know what I need if I see it. It wouldn't be the same if I asked either of you to get it for me."

Farron feigned a gasp, fluttering his eyelashes in an exaggerated manner. "Are you assuming that I don't know my makeup supplies?" He exhaled and shook his head, seeming almost offended in his demeanour. 

Alyxia couldn't help but roll her eyes at him joking around. "I'm serious. You guys said that the disguises are of utmost importance, and I want to help out by doing the one thing I can do." She looked at Reiley expectantly. "Please?"

Farron held a hand up with a look of confusion on his face. "Hold up. Aren't you her boss? Don't you tell her what to do?"

Reiley glared at Farron with a blank face, something Alyxia discovered that Reiley was exceedingly good at. "I'm her bodyguard/P.A. When it comes to most things regarding her safety, I call the shots."

Alyxia nodded in agreement. "You learn early on not to mess with Reiley." She tried to send Farron a subliminal message with her eyes to not mess with Reiley if he hadn't realised it already, but he didn't seem to get it. Or maybe she wasn't too good with subliminal messaging.

She was absolutely sure that he would mess with Reiley.

***

"I can't believe I'm doing this," Alyxia whispered/screamed as she and Reiley peered around the corner of the alley to check for the patrols. "I feel so rebellious!"

After approximately an hour and a half of begging, bowing and scraping, something Alyxia was not used to, Reiley finally agreed to take her along to get the supplies for the disguises. However, judging by the look on the other girl's face, she was starting to regret her decision.

Minutes passed, which felt more like hours. Reiley looked back at Alyxia and mutely gestured to her to follow her. Noiselessly, the two girls tiptoed while crouching to avoid being seen by the soldiers in their black outfits. 

As they tiptoed to relative safety, it suddenly hit Alyxia that Reiley used to be one of those soldiers in their black outfits.

Browsing through the shops selling the sparse makeup supplies which were available in the Hipster, Alyxia constantly wondered about whether they fit in as members of the roughworld. With their plain clothes, they certainly looked the part; Alyxia was concerned that they did not act the part. Alyxia stood out with the stiff, straight posture she had been taught to have ever since she was a child, as did Reiley with her noticeable slouch.

In one stall where they were getting some liner, Alyxia noticed that the two young owners of the stall who seemed to be their same age were looking at them. In a hushed whisper, one of the girls said to her companion, "Look at the prisses there. Don't they get enough makeup up there in Glitz?" As Alyxia learned a while back, the roughworlders called the exaltworld 'Glitz' while simply referring to their own part of Regis as 'the town'. So many names to remember.

Through the corner of her eye, she noticed Reiley stiffen when the girl spoke. It was subtle, almost unnoticeable, but it was there. Why did she have the sinking feeling that she would need to drag Reiley away from a dirty cat-fight?