Chapter 36

Twinsies!
Christina McKenzie

Chris went to bed, much to her dismay. Chris wanted to help Kay planning but she was determined to do this on her own. She's independent that way.

    Chris thinks that value was kind of forced on her growing up. They never knew their parents. For all they know they could be living the life without the responsibilities of having children, or they could be dead.

    One day while Kay was taking her big exam, Chris hacked into one of the main servers to see if she could find their parents. Chris barely even got to their profile in time before the servers mainframe figured out someone was hacking in. All Chris got was that, one of the agents of Dark Moon Academy found them on the street. Chris was just a newborn, and Kay was only 2 and a half years old. Chris was wrapped in a t-shirt in Kay's arms. The folder didn't write any details besides the fact that Kay would refuse to give Chris up, and tried to fight her way out of the agents clutches.

    Next thing that happens and they were raised in an academy where they teach kids to kill. A much better environment than on the streets. Sometimes Chris keeps wondering what would happen if Dark Moon didn't find them. Would they be street rats? Would they still kick butt, however they would be somewhat street savvy? Or would they be dead?

    Chris has never liked Dark Moon. And despite her high ranking and respect amongst her peers and leaders, Chris lets them know that she hates it. Chris knows Kay feels different, she feels as though she has a duty, and a debt to pay them. She is always yes, sir or no, sir. She never takes anything for herself. Sometimes it drives Chris crazy.

    They get into a lot of fights about this topic. Chris wants to get out. Chris wants to leave and travel the world to experience the culture and their way of living for fun, not to blend in or to make fake friends that she would probably kill later. Kay is substantially different. She knows what needs to be done, and will do anything to comprehensively complete her goal. She feels this is where she needs to be. And Chris thinks she's right. Kay's personality is perfect for this job. But, even if Chris can leave with her head still on straight, Chris doesn't know if she can leave her only family behind.

    Chris' thoughts are interrupted as she sees Noah walk into her room. Chris sits up in her bed and looks at him.

    " Are you okay? Can't sleep?" Chris asks him.

    " I tried. I just... can't." He says. Chris nods.

    " That's understandable." Chris says. She lies back down on the bed and stares at the ceiling.

    " Do you guys ever sleep?" Noah asks Chris. Chris moves her head, so that she can see him. He looks like a mess. His hair is all wacky and his face sunken in.

    " Well, depending on the day. Our bodies are trained to take a lot of stress. I get pretty bad headaches if I don't get enough rest though. Kay is pretty strict on my bed time." Chris says bed time like she's a little kid. Noah chuckles.

    " It's just, the few weeks she was here, her bedroom light was always on. Every single night, and it never turned off. She was moving around like a mad-man, moving back and forth. I didn't understand how she could, I don't know, even operate during the day."

    " So you were spying on her?" Chris ask curiously. Noah whips his head at Chris.

    " No- no, I wasn't-"