Chapter 20

The Culprits
Kayline McKenzie

Kayline wakes up to a bright white light and the stench of metal. Mrs Alberston is right next to her. She is still knocked out. Even though Kayline was unconscious, she was trained to always sleep lightly. She feels a sting above her eyebrow. She gives her cut a slight touch, and brings her fingers down to see that they are covered in blood. They must've knocked her out with the hilt of her gun when they grabbed Mrs. Alberston.

               Kayline feels around her body and her phone is gone. The guards can't get on it though, thanks to the Dark Moon software, but she still needs to get it back somehow, to prove that she has evidence.

               Kayline found herself looking in a mirror. It must be a one way mirror, the people that took her could see her, but she can't see them. Luckily her wig is still on and none of her noticeable features were showing. Hopefully, they don't recognize her from the hospital. But then again, Kaylines pretty sure that anyone who faced Noah doesn't really remember anything. The speakers turn on and a rusty voice shouts from it.

" Stay still and state your name." The voice said bluntly and coldly. If Kayline wasn't undercover, she would've said something just as frosty, but she holds her sass back.

" Barbie Alberston." Kayline says, putting a little pain in her voice. Kayline remembers one of the kids running around Mrs. Alberston's house and yelling Barbie. Let's just hope it was one of the kids name and that she has never been here before. There are no doors opening or any hustle, so Kayline must've been right.

" What is your purpose here?" The speaker asks. Kayline could retort back like Christina would, but she's got Mrs. Alberston here. She can't risk that.

" We wanted to see my brother. But your men wouldn't let us through." Kayline let's out some fear in her voice, not really pretending. The feedback responds.

" What if it was for your safety? There is a disease going around." The voice has now adopted a smoother tone. Huh, Kayline still has the charm.

" Then why keep this a secret? Why keep this all hidden, you could go to doctors and to the King and Queen and fix this with more help and funds." Kayline gives her voice a shake, making her voice sound hoarse. Kayline sees Mrs. Alberston move and Kayline helps her up. Kayline whispers in Mrs. Alberston's ear that she's Barbie and that she needs to pretend that Kayline's her daughter.

The door opens and guards takes them out. As soon as Kayline is forced outside, she take in her surroundings as quick as possible. It's a cave for a start, all dark beside the camp. Maybe about two dozens tents holding a dozen people each. Kayline looks at the men, based on uniform and posture, no one of real importance, they a re just pawns. There is a rush of people heading in every direction. There are scientists, warriors, patients, and a couple of dead people. The school of people are parted down the middle as they make their way through the tents.

               Kayline sees her phone peeking out of one of the soldiers pocket. Okay, okay now she knows where it is. Now she just has to get Magdalene, Mrs. Alberston, her son, and herself out of here. But what about everyone else? Everyone else is dead. Kayline suprised by her own thought. She shakes it off.

           They walk along the guided path of cells and the deadly prisoners inside. All of them are bald and weak. Perfect, now she knows where everyone is. Kayline justs need to find where Maggie and Mrs. Alberstons' son is. Based on the high pitch scream, Kayline assumes that Mrs. Alberston already found him.