Chapter 8

Kayline McKenzie

In Kayline's long 7 hours that she has been in Caper, her favorite place is the Market. The smells of different food, oils, and perfumes fill the entire street. The yelling and the bartering of prices bounce of the walls. The lights strung across the buildings, giving the market more character.

People of all shapes and colors, rushing by or slowing down when an object catches their eye. You can find so much simplicity in the complexity.

She stops at a food vendor and buys some pinchos. Chris and Kayline once had chicken on a stick when they were kids, but that was when they where still training. Not actually on the field, where there were no pleasures or selfish wishes to cloud their brain.

Kayline munches gratefully on her chicken, when she come across a jewelry stand. The jewelry is fascinating, full of intricate designs and colors, some with charms the weigh down the chain, and some with just the chain.

As she throws her gaze around, her eyes land on something that reminds her of Chris. The necklace is silver, and the chain is tiny. She looks closer and she notices that the metal is woven as though it's a vine wrapped around another vine. She stands in awe in the fine workmanship. The lady that owns the stand comes up to where Kayline is practically drooling over the necklace.

" You like what you see?" She asks. You can tell by her posture and the way she holds herself, that she is strictly business. If she is strictly business, it means she not only owns the stand, but she probably makes the necklaces.

" Do you have two of these necklaces?" Kayline asks. She think she'd get one for Chris and one for her. She knows it sounds cheesy, but she thinks the necklace has good symbolism behind it.

Chris and Kayline rely on each other and they have always been together, and never separated, well until recently. They are kind of like the vine necklace, wrapped around each other. Like she said cheesy. But still.

" As a matter of fact I do. But someone has saved it. They don't have the money right now, but if you pay more than what they offered, I can give it to you." The lady bargained.

They worked it out, and Kayline ended up with the two necklaces. She immediately put hers on. And she put Chris' in her purse. She felt kind of bad for taking someone's order. But at the same time, it felt kind of good, taking what she wanted for once.

Be careful what you wish for, rings through her head. Right don't get used to it. This is a one time thing.

Kayline almost makes it out of the market, when the colorful ribbons catch her eye. She stops and sees Magdalene's mother closing up shop and packing away all of the ribbons. Kayline speed walks up to the stand.

" Um, excuse me ma'am?" Kayline asks. The woman turns around. She's not exactly beautiful, but her kindness shows through her face. Her tan skin looks smooth and young. Her eyes are simply stunning, but baggy with exhaustion.

" I'm sorry young lady. But I'm closing up today. I got to get home, to my kids. Hopefully I can get there before sundown." Confusion sets through Kayline's brain.