Chapter 8

Aria and Christina sat down at the table with their lunches in front of them. Christina looked up at Aria who was poking at her lunch with her fork.

"You know, it might be of more use to you if it goes in your mouth not your plate."

"I'm sorry. I'm just lost in thought. This looks delicious. I haven't had a nice home cooked meal since I left the Burrow."

"You never did tell me why you left the Burrow."

Aria paused for a moment and looked around the room nervously "Ummm...I just wanted to see you and Draco. I haven't seen you in a while and what with everything that's been going on, I thought it would be a good idea to keep the family together."

"Speaking of which, where's Anastasia?"

"Last I heard, she was at Hogwarts. I think she's still following through on her next year. It sounds kind of sketchy to me but she thought it would be a good idea."

"Oh and I have a follow up on my last statement. I don't think that you're being quite honest with me. Why did you really leave the Burrow?"

"I told you already. I needed to come back and see you guys."

Christina looked up at Aria and gave her an expression that told her that she wasn't messing around. "Aria, I've known you since you were born. We are sisters. I know when you're lying and when you're telling me the truth. You need to know that you can tell me anything. Please just tell me why you left the Burrow."

"Okay, okay. George and I had a bit of a falling out. He screamed, I yelled and I don't know I guess I got carried away because I......I called off the wedding."

Christina fell silent. She opened her mouth to say something but immediately closed it once she realized that she had nothing to say. Her emotions changed for a moment or two from happiness, to confusion, to sympathy, and finally it landed on anger. "I can't believe you!" She stood up and slammed her glass onto the wooden table.

"What are you talking about? I thought you'd be sympathetic about it. This is one of the hardest things I've had to do. I wish I could take it back."

"Have you even considered how this would affect me and Draco?"

"Just because we called it off doesn't mean that you have to."

"This is so stupid Aria!"

"I agree! I just want to know why you're yelling at me!"

"I'm not yelling!"

"You're doing it right now! Screaming at me! If I wanted to hear screaming and yelling I would have just stayed in Azkaban with mom and dad!"

"I'm sorry. It's just that, this is going to be the time that tests us the most. This is when people are going to question us and we won't have but one chance to be who we want to be, who we are. You love George. You and I both know that. If you guys let things fall apart after you've been through so much, then who are we kidding? We are going to crumble and fall. I don't want to turn out like mom and dad."

"Christina none of us are going to turn out like mom and dad. I promise." Aria got up and grabbed her napkin. She realized that her sleeve had fallen back and her arm was exposed. In a hurry, she pulled it back up and began to walk across the room with her plate but not before Christina caught up with her.

Christina grabbed her sister's arm and spun her around. In surprise, Aria dropped her plate and watched as it shattered on the floor. Her heart beating faster, she turned on Christina and was about to chew her out when Christina pulled up her sleeve. Underneath her shirt sleeve, she hid her dark mark and now Christina had found it. Aria had tried so hard to keep this from her family but it looked like the secret was out.

Before Christina could yell or even take a breath for that matter, Aria was up the stairs and in her room. Just as Christina had made it up to the top of the stairs, Aria slammed the door shut and locked it.

"Aria can't we just talk about this?"

"No! I don't want to talk to you!"

"Why not? I'm your sister Aria! For God's sake you can tell me whatever you want!"

"I don't want to talk to you about this!"

"Aria! You're the one telling me not to yell at you and there you go yelling at me! This isn't who we are! We're sisters! We don't talk to each other like this!"

Suddenly the door swung open and Aria came out with tears in her eyes and stared at her sister. "You know what? Fine! We don't talk to each other like this, we don't talk to each other at all! Just stay out of my life okay?!" Then the door was slammed once again and tears sprung up in Christina's eyes.

She wiped away the tears and put on her tough girl look. Then she headed back downstairs and found Draco. She didn't know what to do. Thoughts were running through her mind like crazy and the first thing she could think to do was kiss him. It was going to be a long year if this was how things would always end up.