‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ 𝟎𝟐.

Aelin P.O.V.

I wake up to the pleasant weight of Rowan's arm around my waist. I cuddle deeper into him, embracing the warmth his body offered in this freezing room. It was winter again in Terrasen which meant everyone was already knee deep in snow and having to wear unending layers of clothes to stay warm. The castle was almost never warm despite my best efforts to keep all the fire's going. I felt Rowan shift slightly, the only signal I needed to know that he was awake. He made no effort to move from this position and neither did I. We lay there, savoring the few moments of time we had together before we had to get out of bed and on with our royal duties as Prince and Queen and our forever long jobs of being parents. Our kids, Kai and Ember were twins, they were both 2. It was tiring but it was worth it. Worth it to know that our only problems were if the spices couldn't ship from Antica because of a storm or that we might lose crops due to the snow. The problems seemed pleasant almost. As if it was a break from everything that had happened.

It had been 5 years since we defeated Erawan and Maeve. 5 years of rebuilding piece by piece. Soul by soul. Kingdom by kingdom. A better world. That's what I had promised and I had every intention of keeping it. I could hear the slow awakening of my people outside, the shops opening and the villagers going out to do their daily work. A time of peace. That's what it was and what would always be, I would make sure of it. I looked up at my mate, my warrior, my buzzard, my prince...my everything to find him already looking at me. Fire meeting ice.

"What are you thinking of, fireheart?" his eyes seemed to ask as he gently hooked a strand of blonde hair behind my ear, his finger dragging lightly over the pointed tip. I closed my eyes, a shudder running through my body, my attention focusing solely on that tattooed, callused hand.

Opening my eyes, I replied softly, my voice barely over a whisper "Everything". My voice hadn't conveyed any sadness, only realization and joy.

"Everything?" He asked, his voice rough from just waking up as he turned in a smooth movement, now atop of me, his muscled arms keeping his weight off of me. Pine-green eyes bore into mine as if he could see everything going on inside, as if he could see me. I smiled which was all the confirmation he needed that everything was alright as he nuzzled his head between my neck and shoulder. Breathing in my scent. As if he was taking in all the details of this wonderful morning. I slowly ran my hands through his silver hair, this...this was a great way to start the day.

Before we could go farther a knock came through the door. If it were the kids, I was prepared to give them a nice long lecture on why you don't disturb your parents in the morning. I groaned twisting out from under him which I know he didn't appreciate. I heard him roll over in bed as I walked to the door. His eyes watching my every movement. I smirked swaying my hips a little as I walked the last couple of steps, opening the big wooden door engraved with wyrdmarks of protection that the court insisted all the doors have.

"Your majesty," the man said going into a deep bow, "I'm sorry for disturbing you this early in the morning but, guests are expecting you in the dining hall." Guests? In the dining hall? I didn't remember having to meet anyone this morning. Especially over breakfast. Hhm.

"May I know who?" I asked my voice as queenly as I could muster on this frozen morning. I tried not to shiver as I felt the cold creeping up my legs, grazing my thighs and wrapping itself around my arms. Though I had a feeling it could just be Rowan trying to pull me back to bed.

"The said that they would prefer you to not know, they've requested yours and Prince Rowan's presence along with the Prince Kai and Princess Ember".

"Of course, let them know we'll be down in a bit". I said still wondering who it could be. The man nodded going into another very deep bow before scurrying off in the direction of the dining hall, most likely to inform them of my reply.