Chapter Four

Holliday was starting to feel the sensation that she had to pee as her anxious energy filled her. That's when she knew that she was nervous. She was envisioning the performance in her mind when she noticed Natasha coming out of the storage closet looking stressed. A few seconds later, one of the city council members tried to discreetly exit the same room. Holliday wanted to go ask Natasha if she was alright but Madison approached her with a strange look on her face.

"I hate to say this but we can't switch during the performance," Madison informed her in a low tone.

Holliday almost didn't hear her but when the statement finally registered, she replied, "What the fuck do you mean we can't switch? You know how important this performance is for me. Especially with Mendall and my dad being here!"

"I know... I know but my parents' business colleagues are here and they already told them that I'm dancing in the front."

"Who cares? My grandma is here! How can you do this to me? You're supposed to be my best friend!"

"Who cares? My parents care, that's who! I told you that they control my trust fund and that they will cut me off if I don't do what they say until I graduate. I need that money so that I can be free and have my own life. At this moment, its not just about you. Damn! Let's not forget that you caused your own self to be placed in the back of this performance." With that, Madison turned around and stormed off towards the restrooms.

Holliday stood there looking after her in total shock. She was surprised that Madison even got that mad. Usually, Madison was even tempered with a dash of attitude but maybe the issues with her parents were really starting to take a toll on her. Holliday instantly felt bad until a small cold hand touched her bare shoulder. Holliday almost screamed out in fear when she turned to see Natasha standing next to her.

"I didn't mean to scare you," Natasha said in a tensed voice. She looked frantic which was unlike her normal demeanor.

"Oh my gosh Natasha, you scared the shit out of me. I saw you and that city council guy in the storage closet... Are you ok?"

Ignoring the question Natasha stated, "I heard the conversation between you and Madison. We can switch places if you want too."

"Are you serious? But you're the lead? Ms. Dee would kill me and Ms. Cylla would bury my body."

"Don't worry about them. It will be fine. I need a break anyways. It would be nice to just dance around the spotlight instead of always being in the center of it," Natasha said while staring into space. She quickly focused back to the conversation and asked, "You know my part right?"

Happily, Holliday said, "Yes, of course. I've practiced it in my spare time just for fun."

With a small smile on her face, she replied, "Then you will be great. Break a leg!"

Holliday just stood there in disbelief. She would be dancing front and center for everyone to see including fuck ass Mendall. She immediately started picturing the lead dance part in her mind while shaking her hands, in an attempt to calm her nerves. Just then Ms. Dee called out for everyone to line up.

It was time for Holliday to conquer the stage.

****

Darkness filled the banquet room at the Civic Center as the performance was about to begin. Holliday felt the anxiety in her throat but her nerves were settling because her mind was set to dance the entire routine perfectly. The music started and the lights focused on certain spots on the stage. Her cue came up and Holliday took the stage to start the dance. She heard a few gasps and whispers but she didn't care. It was her moment and she would show her talent no matter what. She turned to her side and momentarily caught Madison's eye. Madison looked shocked but stayed in character and kept dancing.

The first part of the dance was going so well that people started to clap and cheer. The second part of the dance involved many different lights to be placed on the dancers to build excitement for the audience. It was supposed to be a good thing and Holliday could clearly see the Mayor enjoying the performance. However, she didn't plan on seeing Mendall wrapped in her dad's arms and locked in an passionate kiss.

Anger immediately filled Holliday's heart. How could her dad not watch her performance after he hasn't seen her dance in months!? He was missing a major moment in her dance career to make out with a random female. Because Holliday was focused on her dad and Mendall, she missed a step and turned too early crashing right into another dancer. They both fell on the floor while the other dancer grabbed her nose in an attempt to stop her nosebleed. The other dancers tried to keep dancing but the performance was ruined. For a split second, everything seemed paused in time. Holliday could even hear her own rapid heartbeat. She was stuck in the center of the stage and only ran off when she saw the embarrassed look on her grandma's face.

Once she reached back stage, Holliday immediately started crying. When the door to the restroom opened, she scarily faced the unknown person who may have entered. She was hoping to see her grandma but Carmen Cylla, in the flesh, was standing right before her. She instantly started apologizing and begging for forgiveness but was silenced when Ms. Cylla slapped her hard across the face.

Ms. Cylla then closed the distance between them and shouted, "Do you realize the damage that you've just caused? This night was important for my studio and you ruined it! You stole the spotlight away from Natasha and embarrassed yourself. I'm highly ashamed that you ever danced under my reputation! Pack your shit and get out of my fucking sight!"

Holliday was so shocked that she stood there unmoved until Ms. Cylla started yelling and cursing at her again. She ran out of the restroom and into the hallway looking for the exit. As she walked outside, she ran right into her dad and Mendall. They both had concerned looks on their face while attempting to approach her.

Holliday held out her hands to stop them and screamed, "This is all your fault! You took my focus away when you showed more attention to her than me at my own damn performance! How could you do that to me, dad?"

"I know you're upset and I'm sorry if you felt that we weren't paying attention to you, because we were, but you need to watch your jacked up mouth. I'm not going to keep telling you that Holliday," Richard replied sounding upset as well.

"Really? Cause from where I was standing, y'all was booed up and in y'all own damn world. You haven't been to one of my performances all this year then you come here and focus more on her than me! Now that's fucked up! I ruined my whole dance career in less than two minutes so thank you, Mendall!"

Finally speaking up, Mendall stated, "I'm sure you're upset and disappointed but blaming us for your own mistakes isn't right. We didn't do anything but support you tonight so your disrespect towards us isn't necessary."

"You know what bitch? Don't ever talk to me again. Continue to fuck my dad but don't ever think you can control me or anything over here cause you don't!"

Even before Mendall or Richard could respond, Ms. Lena stepped in between, separating them. She strongly encouraged Holliday to leave with her and they headed back to her apartment. Once they arrived, Holliday was still shaking but couldn't even cry. She felt horrible about the whole night and everything that happened. She was a dedicated dancer that worked very hard everyday. She had sacrificed so much for her passion including a love life and just living the care-free life of someone her age. She placed dance number one and couldn't believe that she let her childish feelings ruin her opportunity to make a name for herself less than four months before graduation.

Holliday was still attempting to sleep on her grandma's couch but her mind wouldn't stop playing the events of the night. She felt disgusted with herself and her mistakes played over and over again like a bad rerun. She had destroyed relationships with both her parents and her best friend. Natasha was kind enough to give her the golden ticket to success and she wasted it. Everyone was affected by her selfish actions and there was no way that she could keep from feeling like an complete failure.

Ms. Cylla would surely dismiss her from CC's, no one would support her, and she was basically homeless since she couldn't live with her grandma for more than a few days. It broke Holliday's heart to know that everything of importance was over for her. She wished it was all just a miserable nightmare and that she would wake up. Or better yet, she wished that she could wake up as Natasha Dole instead.