prom <fourtris>

Okay so I finally got off my lazy butt and updated. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Tris was still the only one without a date. It was two weeks until prom, and everyone was ready but her. Even her nerdy brother Caleb had a girlfriend. 

It didn't help that Tris wasn't pretty. She was short for her age, only five foot two, flat-chested, with blonde hair that wasn't quite short enough to be a pixie-cut but not long enough to be shoulder-length. Really, she still looked like a little girl compared to most of her friends. She usually didn't care. She wasn't into fashion and all that drama- not like Christina (who by the way was dating a cute, blond science geek named Will). She just wore tank-tops and leggings. She didn't have time for any of that stuff.

But even though Tris wasn't really into boys all that much- she didn't need a man- she did want to go to prom with a date for a change. Like Tobias. That hot dark-haired guy two years ahead of her that all the girls stared at.

Yeah, thought Tris. I'm totally going to be the one who goes out with him. (sarcasm intended here)

"Tris! What's wrong?!" asked Lynn. She didn't have a date either, but she thought prom was, in her words, 'a big un-freaking-believeable waste of a perfectly good relaxing Friday'.

"I don't have a date."

"So? You can crash at my place and we can play video games or something."

"Lynn, you don't get it. I want a date. I want to go to prom."

"Fine," she said, rolling her eyes. "I'll tell you a little secret. I know a guy who likes you."

Tris didn't think that any guy in their right mind would like her. Anyways, all her guy friends had girlfriends. Will was with Christina, Uriah was with Marlene, even Zeke, Uriah's brother, was getting pretty serious with his own girl, Shauna.

"Who is it?"

"Why should I tell you?" Lynn asked, an evil gleam in her golden brown eyes.

"C'mon, Lynn. Just tell me!" Tris groaned.

"Alright, fine. It's Tobias."

"What? No way. Joke's over. There is no way Tobias likes me. How do you know anyways? You don't exactly hang out."

"Well..." said Lynn, obviously savoring the moment, "Tobias and Zeke are friends, right? Well, TobiastoldZekewhotoldUriahwhotoldMarlenewhotoldmethathehasacrushonyoubutistooscaredtoaskyououtandheisplanningonaskingyoutopromtomorrow."

"Woah," Tris said. "Again and slower."

"Tobias told Zeke who told Uriah who told Marlene who told me that he has a crush on you but is too scared to ask you out and he is planning on asking you to prom tomorrow."

"Wait." Tris knew Lynn was a bad liar. There was no way she could make up such a complicated story.

"Wait, oh my gosh," said Lynn, as if something had just came to her, "Do you like him too?"

"Yeah."

"Well then go get together you crazies!"

Christina, who was listening the entire time, just squealed. "I'm thinking of like fifteen dress designs!!"

---TIME SKIP TO PROM NIGHT---

Tris was finally ready. Christina had spent about half an hour trying to get her ready. She was wearing a form-fitting grey-and-black dress that came down to her ankles. Christina wanted her to wear heels, but Tris had convinced her that flats were much more practical. Her short hair was washed and curled a little, and Christina had painted her face with a little natural makeup and winged eyeliner.

"Come on, Tris! You don't want to be late!" Christina's dress was light pink, looking amazing against her dark skin. It was super short and sparkly at the top, a look that Tris could never pull off.

When Tris finally arrived at the prom, Tobias was there to greet her, looking amazing in a dark grey suit and tie. Marlene had a floral yellow dress, and Shauna was wearing floor-length blue. 

"Care to dance?" asked Tobias.

"I'd love to."

Tris never thought this night would be possible, but here it was, and Tris was determined to enjoy it.