Five

Two days they were stuck in the cabin. The pantry was stocked with food, which kept them from making the trip to the town. But Mia wasn't completely hauled up in the past two days. She found a reason the next morning, after arriving at the cabin, to wander around her aunt's property.

Even if she'd been a recluse living in the city, there was always some solace to it, especially her morning jogs at a nearby park. As early as four in the morning, she'd be out and about, breathing it some fresh air. The street would clamor people and cars by the time she'd finish her morning exercise. But that was long before she'd imprisoned herself in her own home. Yet here, so far up north, there was freedom to enjoy the silence.

She expected the chilly weather. But not teeth-chattering cold. At one moment on her jogging route, she'd expected for the snow to fall. Luckily, by the time she reached the edge of the property—by her aunt's description would be a poorly made wooden fence—the sun was up. She'd never felt welcoming by its heat before, living in the city polluted with soot and people. Yet the vast emptiness with no soul in sight, Mia found solace, for once.

In the afternoon, at the cabin, she and her aunt stayed in the living room by the chimney. A small pit of fire blazed, warming up the place enough for her to wear a tanked top and shorts. They'd mostly stayed in quiet comfort. Her aunt doing her work on a makeshift desk she'd set-up behind the couch while she lounged in it, reading a novel.

Mia expected her week to be the same. But it only took two days until her peace was disrupted. She wasn't too keen about it, unlike her aunt.

The landline phone rang, a vintage-looking set she'd thought belong in a museum, giving a happy glint of enthusiasm to her aunt. Her cheery voice brought Mia out of her trance from a book she was reading. Given the small living space, there's hardly anywhere where she won't overhear the one-sided phone conversation.

She shamelessly eavesdropped by the couch.

"Morning, dear. We're doing well, thank you for asking." She paused, listening to the other end. "I'm not sure, though. She seemed content. But I do think it's best she spends most of her time outdoors. She'd done enough of it in the city." She stopped again, chuckling. "Yes, please. I'll tell her to get dress now. See you later, Richard."

Mia's ears perked up at the name. Even if it was a one-sided conversation, she knew what her aunt was about to say.

"What were you thinking, auntie?" She got up from her little nest of pillows and blanket. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm perfectly satisfied with..."

"We both know you're eager to look around the island, Mia. You spend most of your morning outside, jogging as you put it, and only return for lunch." She arched her eyebrow in challenge. "I've started drafting my new design project so I can't do the driving myself, and you don't have a license. Also, you did agree on his offer."

"Yes, I did, with the impression I'm the one who'd offer when we'd go. Not the other way around, auntie." Mia scoffed. She gathered her pillows and blanket that scattered around her foot. "Besides, you did say Mr. McKenzie and Mrs. Grant owned a farm and a pub in town. He might be busy."

"They do. But it doesn't mean they don't have help, Mia." Leanna walked around the couch towards her niece and placed a hand on both her shoulder. "So, you go and get a dress. Richard will be here in half an hour or so." She spun her around and lightly shoved her towards her room.

"But, auntie..."

"I've also made a list of things I need in town as well," she said. "Now, you can't say there was no reason you couldn't go, is there?"

She glared at her favorite aunt. "I'll go, but I won't forget this, auntie."

Leanna waved her hand in dismissal. "Threaten me all you like, Mia. You'll thank me later."